Chapter 3: You got Me Flying

After I jumped, I took flight and soared around NYC. It was dark now, and the city lights were glowing. I spotted Starbucks and landed on top of the building. The pendent stopped glowing and I was normal again. I was in my room Hot Topic clothes again. I sighed. If only I were where I was supposed to be. I lit up when I saw Lucas walking around the block. I climbed down the fire escape and walked to the front of the building. His eyes lit up when he saw me knowing, I didn't stand him up.
"Hey Lucas." I said smiling up at him.
"Hi Laura. Are you ready? I have a lot planned." He said as he returned the smile.
I nodded and he held out his hand. I took it. And here I thought chivalry was dead. We walked toward Times Square and turned into a brightly lit restaurant. The place was packed. Lucas took out a wad of cash and the waiters eyes perked up. "Right this way." He said taking the cash. He took us to a table in the back and set two menus in front of us.
"What was that all about?" I asked him.
"Oh, I would've made a reservation but, if I told them my name..." He started.
"What do you mean if you told them your name?"
"I'm Lucas Carter, son of Collin Carter of Carter Industries."
I've heard of Collin Carter before. He was very greedy over his profits. I've heard a lot about him from when I was upstairs. Maybe this is why I'm here. To help Lucas not follow in his father's footsteps. Maybe he could be my way back.
"I've heard about your father but, I'm not interested in money. I never have been. There's a lot more to this world than money."
He let out a sigh of relief.
"You're the first girl that has ever said that. Normally they'd be all over me just because I'm the heir to the company."
"I'm not like other girls." I said smiling.
"What would you like to drink?", a blond headed waitress asked with a bright smile.
"Sprite." We both said in unison.
She wrote it down and went back to the kitchen. I looked at the menu and knew exactly what I wanted when I saw it. When the waitress came back to get our order, I got the seafood ravioli. And to my surprise Lucas copied me.
"It's one of my favorites." He said shrugging.
"It's one of mine, too."
Another thing we have in common. I smiled and played with the straw in my drink.
"Where did you go to school?" He asked staring at my class ring.
"It was just a small school. I bet you went to a private school."
"Yeah, I was kinda forced to. It was either that or home school and I wanted to meet people."
"I met too many people and they bullied me. I would've loved to be home schooled." I said remembering all those past memories.
"Now why would someone bully someone as beautiful as you?"
" I was different. People don't like different."
"I like different."
I blushed. What else was I supposed to do?  He noticed my blush and smiled. The waitress set our food in front of us and we started on our entrées.
After we finished, I offered to pay but, he wouldn't let me, we took a taxi to Central Park.
"When's your birthday?" He asked.
"October 31." I answered.
"That's cool. Wait, that's Halloween and in a couple of days."
"Yeah, Halloween. It was always my favorite holiday. Not just because it was my birthday but, you could be whatever you wanted to be."
"That is true. I only went out on Halloween a couple of times because of my father."
I took his hand and he lapsed his fingers around mine. We climbed out of the taxi. Lucas passed the driver a bill and told him to that keep the change. We walked around the park talking about random things. I like it. He bought ice cream and we walked toward the hotel I was staying in. He walked me to the door. We promised to meet again at Starbucks tomorrow. As we said our goodbyes he pulled me in for a hug. He was warm and comforting and I still have the scent of his cologne on my blouse.