Tackling Strangers

I was a normal girl until that chilly Tuesday afternoon. Just minding my own business working at our local bakery Just Sweet when he walked in the door. The day everything in my world for a lack of a better phrase, had been turned upside down. Look at me getting a head of myself again. Let me start from beginning my name is Vivian Scarlett Lascher but everyone I know calls me Viv. I’m your normal seventeen year old girl. Well, normal is quite a stretch. I’m certainly weird and quirky, but being a part of a family of seven that everyone around you tends to excel at something leaves one left being the untalented one in the family was, I had to claim something as my own.

My dad was once a pretty big deal musician and my mom was a model. Both of them falling in love when my mom did a video shoot with my dad’s band Dude for a song called “A Diamond Bullet to the Heart”. It was a really good punk song and I’m not just saying it because he’s my dad. Apparently when they met it was a whirlwind romance, that mother had told me came once in your life if you were ever so lucky. They were married a year later, not too long after that they had my older sister Robin.

Robin is incredibly smart and quite the painter. She had spent the summer in Paris pursuing her passion of painting with her boyfriend Leonardo Pinero. She and Leo met in New York when she went out for a young artist convention. While Leo is an architect looking for someone to paint a beautiful mural on the inside of the home he was building for his mother. Robin eagerly volunteered. Over the next month and half she and Leo quickly fell in love. Granted there is about a 5 year gap between them. I’ve never seen Robin so in love with someone in her life. Robin was the kind of girl who had boys flocking to her constantly. Her beauty was no contest. Even though she was 20, my mom insisted that she live at home until they were married. Everyone including Dad thought mom’s idea was stupid. Robin wasn’t one to argue with our mom, that was my job, so she agreed. Even though her and Leo had been in a relationship for the past two and half years.

My mom says that a marriage proposal is in the near future. I hope so I would love Leo as a brother. He always came for family dinner and would always come over when Robin was in the studio focusing on her next painting to play video games or watch the new episode of Big Bang with me. I think Robin didn’t appreciate the relationship I had with her boyfriend considering that she would whine about how he would spend more time with me than with her. That never stopped him from hanging out with me. He would just tell her that I was the little sister he wished he had which only pissed Robin off even more. I knew once they were married she would get over it or at least I hoped.

Then next there was my older brother River. From a young age he showed athletic attributes. My mother often teases that he wasn’t kicking her but he was running in her belly. He played every sport imaginable. He had trophies from most. River is the star quarterback for our high school and has full ride to college of his choosing, it didn’t help that he exceptionally smart. He seemed to cruise through school like it was a breeze. This only led to people always comparing us. Strangely enough we are in the same grade he was born in early February. Valentine’s Day to be exact while I was born in December 13th on a Friday. We were exactly ten months apart. It was gross to think my parents couldn’t keep their hands off each other for longer than the doctor had dame necessary. River often acted like I didn’t exist which was fine with me. Most people wouldn’t even know we were related if our last names weren’t the same and that’s the way I liked it. He flipped a bitch when I started dating his friend Cory Mathews, (yes like from Boy Meets World) not because his friend was dating his sister oh no because he didn’t want me around. Cory would insist that he would spend time with me which only pissed River off even more. He made it a point to break us up. In the end Cory and I decided it wasn’t worth the trouble to be together with him trying so hard to rip us apart.

Then there were the twins Katherine who insisted on being called Katie and Harley who insisted every call him by his middle name James. They were only a year under me, but they went to a different school than us. The twins were a confusing unit they would sometime appear to be polar opposites then at times, then be well such twins at others.