nine

When I wake, Ethan is draped over me. He took his shirt off at one point last night because it was wet from my tears, and my hand now rests flat on his smooth back. It moves up and down along with his deep, steady breaths.

His cheek lies on my stomach, over my shirt.

Thank God I'm still wearing my shirt.

His hand is inside my shirt, also on my stomach, directly next to his face. His hair is sticking up due to my fingers running through it.

There's also a bruise on his shoulder. Why is there a bruise on his shoulder?

That's not a bruise, you idiot.

Fuçk.

I run my fingers along his back, trailing up to his neck and then his hair. His soft, dark, beautiful hair. My fingers tangle themselves in the tendrils, then move to another side of his head to stroke his hair. He makes a small noise and shifts his position, wrapping his whole arm around my abdomen. His nose nuzzles me, causing that same feeling in my chest again, the one I got last night when he kissed me.

I tilt my head. He's actually sleeping. He never sleeps.

I peer down at his face, taking in his long dark eyelashes and those lips. I don't deserve to get kissed by them. All I've done is push him away.

My fingers mess with his hair for a little bit longer until my eyes start closing again, drowsiness taking over.

This time when I open my eyes, Ethan is no longer with me.

Feeling empty at not having the presence of his body on mine, I turn my cheek and flinch when I hear paper crinkling. I prop myself up on one elbow and pinch the folded up piece of paper between my thumb and forefinger. He left me a note. I unfold it and grin goofily as I scan his little kid handwriting.

Hi, Kendall Rose.
Sorry I had to go. Don't know why I'm apologizing... But I left something for you in the kitchen. I didn't like seeing you cry last night so I hope this makes you feel better.
- E

I bite my lip. Who even is this? Because it's not Ethan. I curiously tiptoe out of my bed and to the kitchen, where I find a small white rectangular box with a red bow on the lid. I take the lid off and scream at what's inside.

A

dead

rat.

Yep, that seems like Ethan. I look up at the camera at one corner of the kitchen and flick him off. I can practically hear him snickering.

I reach for the cereal box in the cabinet. I frown when I find a sticky note on the back of it.

The rat was a joke.
Sorry :)
Go look under your bed.
- E

I hesitantly go back to my room and crouch down to look under my bed. There's another box, this time blue. Coincidentally, blue is my favorite color. Did he know that? Maybe he did, considering he's a....

What even is he?

I take out the box, tentatively picking up the lid. Inside, there are dozens of origami roses made out of pink paper. My mouth drops open and I pluck one out, letting it rest on the palm of my hand. I set it down on the carpet and count the rest of them, coming up with fifty in total.