Ch. 5

I woke up to my mom pounding on my door.

"Grace! I'm going out on a work trip again so I won't be home for a week. I left you a note and some cash. Love you, bye honey!" My mom has got to be the most trusting parent ever. Which surprises me, since just last year I had been caught smoking in the bathroom. I'm not exactly the good girl, which is why I tend to only attract the dealers at school. God, they annoy the shit out of me. I can't wait to get out of this shit place. It is Saturday so no school, I don't go to work, but I have college papers due and tons of homework. Yeah, I'm not going to be doing it. Screw that. I just want to crawl back into bed and fall asleep.

My phone starts buzzing, and I look at it.

"Hey there! It's Hunter. Wanna hang out today? I saw you looking down today, so just wanting to check up on how you are! bye! xx"

Okay, so he was pretty cute, but a girl like me could never in a million years get someone like that again.. I used to look so pretty. Long straight blond hair, bright shining blue eyes, and I always dressed to impress. Hollister, Abercrombie & Fitch, any name brand, I had. My parents were always willing to do that for me. Until my dad left. My mom caught him cheating with our neighbor's mom. He found out that mom knew, so he packed up and left us in the middle of the night. No note, no calls, just. Left.

*Flashback 3 years*

"Calm down baby. Please, it will be okay. I promise you that. He's stupid for doing that, please don't waste your tears on him, please baby. Stop crying. I'm here for you," I head him saying these words, I feel his arms around me, the warmth of his skin warming my cold, wet body. I had ran over to his house at 3 am, it was pouring down rain, but it didn't bother me at all. I only knew that I needed to talk to Kaleb, to feel Kaleb hold me.

"He left us.. He left without saying a single word. He promised me he would never do that, Kaleb.. He lied to me, he broke his promise," I ended up mumbling a bunch of words as the tears rolled down my face. Kaleb sat me up and gently took my chin in his hands and placed a soft kiss on my lip and wiped away the tears with his thumb and ran his fingers smoothly through my hair.

"I'm here, hunny. I'll never leave you, I promise. You can sleep over tonight, our parents won't care. My dad is passed out in his room downstairs and you're mom is always cool with us being together. You're safe baby, I'm here for you, I promise. Just go to sleep, I'll stay awake until you are sound asleep." I smiled and kissed his lip and laid my down. My head was laying on his chest, our legs tangled together and fingers laced between each others hands. He was softly playing with my hair, laying soft kisses on my forehead. He knew it helped me sleep, and after a few minutes, I was passed out.

I shake my head to get out of the flashback, and I sigh and realize that this is what Kaleb would want me to do. I need to move on, or at least stop being alone all the time. I text back that I will be ready in 15 minutes and he can come over. I grab a pair of skinny jeans and a blue t-shirt then walk into my bathroom. I take my hair down and brush it out. It looks pretty decent today. My hair is slowly turning blonde again, but it's wavy. I wash my face off and then brush my teeth. Spraying a bit of perfume on, I hear my doorbell ring. I walk down the stairs and take a deep breath putting a fake smile upon my face and open the door.

I look up and I see Hunter. His brown hair is gelled up and kinda spiky. His green shirt flatters his big brown eyes. He actually looks really.. hot. What? Am I seriously complimenting this kid? I haven't talked to him since Kaleb died.

"Hey, Grace. You in there?" I feel heat rising to my cheeks as I realise that I had been staring at him longer than anybody should. I'm so stupid. He is just here to hang out or something.

"Yeah, sorry I spaced out.. Uh, I haven't seen you in forever, come on in. Sorry, if it's kind of messy, I haven't cleaned yet even though my mom told me to last weekend," I look around the room and see a few newspapers on the floor and dishes in the sink. I feel like slapping myself, why am I fretting over this? He's just an old friend popping by, Right?