Chapter 5 -- Isabelle

Sunday morning was very uneventful. Isabelle was kept up all night by thoughts of the girl called Anna. She had thought she was really beautiful from afar, and now that she had contact with her, both in Acting and at the gas station on Friday, she found herself wanting to know more and more about her.

First of all, Isabelle wanted to know why Anna went to a gas station to shower. Then, she wanted to know why she didn't eat lunch. She ate when food was given to her, but she never got any of her own food. A lot of the rumors going around were that she was pretending to be poor, just to get pity from others. Other rumors were that she actually was poor, and that her family is going to be evicted from their home soon. And of course there were the rumors surrounding her sexual orientation. Most said that she was a lesbian, and Isabelle was secretly praying the latter was correct.   Isabelle decided she was actually going to ask her, straight up, when she saw her next. 

She was not prepared for the confrontation to happen that afternoon.

"Hello," Anna said, smiling.

"Are you a lesbian?" Isabelle blurted out. She didn't mean for it to come out so forwardly, but she made it seem like she meant it to come out like that.

"Um, why?" She asked.

"Just curious," Isabelle answered a little too quickly for it to be honest.

"I'm bisexual." She seemed on-edge, but Isabelle sighed in relief.

"Are you a lesbian?" Anna asked, her eyebrows now perked up in curiosity. "

Isabelle wanted to tell her how cute she was, so, she thought, why the hell not, "You're really cute when you're curious."

Anna smiled, "Never heard that before."

"That you're cute when you're curious?" Isabelle smirked.

"No, well, yes, but no. That I'm cute." Anna blushed, "Going to answer my question?"

"Going to go on a date with me?" Isabelle smiled, and Anna blushed again.

"Me? With you? But you're so.." Anna thought for a moment, "Perfect."

"Not really," Isabelle said, "But, yes you. With me. Friday night."

"Okay," Anna smiled, "It's a date."

"I'll pick you up at seven?" Isabelle said.

"Yeah," Anna said, "Well, I've gotta go. See you tomorrow!"

She waved as she walked out.  Isabelle catered to a lot of tourists, sleazy men, and random people. But Isabelle simply continued to daydream. She was trying to think of where to take Anna on Friday.

Park? Too mainstream.

Movies? Too boring.

Mall? Everyone does that.

Dinner? Still too boring.

She tapped her pen on the counter, trying to think of something that wasn't generic or overused. So far, her mind was drawing a blank. Then, it came to her.

An improv theater about two miles away from Isabelle's house was having a comedy night. She used the gas station phone to call and ask if they needed to buy tickets ahead of time. They told her how they didn't usually have much of a turn out, so she was even more excited. She had to tell somebody. But she couldn't think of who.

She grabbed a crinkled piece of paper her new friend, Hailey, had written her number on. Hailey answered on the third ring.

"Hello?" She asked.

"Hailey! It's Iz." Isabelle said, happily.

"What's up?" Hailey asked.

"I kind of asked my crush out on a date." She said excitedly.

"Oh my gosh who?!" Hailey's enthusiasm nearly matched her own.

"Anna!" 

"I KNEW IT! What are y'all going to do??" She nearly shouted into the phone.

"I'm going to take her to an Comedy Improv night at my local theater." Isabelle said, wanting reassurance that this was a good idea. She was not disappointed.

"Brilliant!" Hailey said, "If only I had the courage to ask out the boy I like." She added quietly.

"Let me guess, Alex." Isabelle said, and she heard Hailey audibly sigh.

"Does everybody know?" She asked.

"Who else knows?"

"Trent guessed. Anna guessed. Hell, even Jack from our Theater class guessed it."

Isabelle repressed a sound of disgust when Hailey mentioned Trent,"So basically everyone except Alex knows." Isabelle stifled a laugh.

"Yep." Hailey said, then, she exclaimed, "I've got an idea! Gotta go Iz. See you tomorrow!" And then Hailey hung up.

Leaving Isabelle to stay in her state of daydreaming, and imagining every possible way her date with Anna could go.