Chap. 7

It was the night of my party. At school I got simple, Happy Birthdays and Happy Birthday Hayley. Ryan gave me a cupcake with a little balloon that said: Happy Birthday, Cupcake! He is so sweet.

Tessa, Lisa, and Melissa were already at my house because they were going to help me "look my best". "Guys, go easy. Not much of a dressy girl," I told them, before we piled into my mom's car. The party was in five hours. So we have time.

We arrived at Macy's and Tessa, Lisa, and Melissa all spread out looking at dresses. I just sat on a stool buy the front door on Instagram.

Earlier, I posted a picture of all four of us with the caption: @superhayley - Squad Goals b4 b-day party!!!! @melissaawesome @tessabear @lisaaa54

"We found the perfect one for you!" Tessa, Lisa, and Melissa squealed at the same time. "Uh, okay," I said, laughing. They pushed me towards the dressing rooms and into one stall. Inside, I found something that is too pretty for me to wear.

I got back home and put on the dress with a white jean jacket. Then I curled my hair.

I walked downstairs with my mom pointing the camera at me, "Happy Birthday, Hayley! You look wonderful!" my mom said

I walked downstairs with my mom pointing the camera at me, "Happy Birthday, Hayley! You look wonderful!" my mom said. We were still vlogging for Bratayley, even though Annie is rarely in them and Caleb aren't in them at all now because he's with Brennan and the gang. So it was basically my channel now.

I smiled at her. "Thanks mom," I said, and walked out the back door to see lights hung and all these French bakery foods. I spun around, taking it all in when I felt hands go around my waist. I stopped and turned around facing Ryan.

"Hey Ry-guy," I whispered. My face was inches away from him. "Hi, H$," he whispered back. I can literally smell his minty breath. I inched closer and so did he and we kissed again.

It was a long, passionate kiss. When we pulled apart, we just looked at each other in the eyes.
---
A whole bunch of people were here now, and they were all eating, dancing, or talking. This was quite a party.

But then this happened and I didn't want it to.

Brody walked in. I pulled Ryan to the side, where no one was. "Ryan, Brody is here. He's probably gonna flirt with me so can you please help me? We're partners in school... ugh... so yeah. He's probably gonna be around me and stuff," I told Ryan. "Yeah, I understand. I'll do what I can. I just hope this party won't be f***ed up," Ryan said. I nodded and then we went back to party where Brody stared at me.

I nudged Ryan and he turned me around facing him. "Don't worry about him. I'm here," Ryan said, leaning in closer. "Okay, Ry-guy," I said, leaning in closer, too. Suddenly, I felt Ryan's hands slip away and I saw him on the ground. Brody pushed him.

"What the hell? Why would you kiss Hayley? She likes me, not you!" Brody yelled, causing everyone to look this way. "No I don't! I love Ryan, and only Ryan! We're just partners! Go away, Brody," I yelled back at him. He looked stunned. He slowly looked at him and then back at me. "Oh," was all he said and he put his hands in his pockets and walked out of the party.
---
Everyone couldn't stop talking about Brody and me. It was so annoying, but Ryan was there defending me. It was awkward at school today... ugh. But I ignored it until Brody pulled me to a side at the end of school.

"Look, I didn't know you and Ryan were a "thing". Please just meet me at Sunset Park. We need to talk," Brody said. "Uh, okay. What time?" I dreadfully agreed. "9pm," Brody replied, and walked away.
---
9pm

I arrived at Sunset Park at 8:58pm. I decided to wait by a tree and go on my phone. I didn't wear anything fancy, especially since this was for an apology or something. I wore a light pink crop top, ripped jean shorts, and mint green flip flops.

It was 9:15 and he still wasn't here! "Brody, I'm here!" I yelled out

It was 9:15 and he still wasn't here! "Brody, I'm here!" I yelled out. A gust of wind blew out. "Hello... Brody?" I called out again. I was scared. What if it was prank and he's trying to get back at me? "Brody, this isn't funny! Come out now!" I yelled again. This time, a random piece of paper flew out and landed at my feet. I picked it up and read.

Dear Hayley,
I know you probably hate me, and I'm sorry. I know that you don't like me, but I like you. I just don't like it when you avoid me and make me feel like I'm nothing. I understand... just friends. I've known you since second grade, and I'm just realizing your true beauty. I don't care if this makes you gag because I like you. Don't roll your eyes when you hear my name. Don't turn away when you see me. And please don't ignore me.
From, Brody Richardson
PS: look up at the sky and then turn the paper over.

I looked up at the sky to see all these gleaming stars. It was truly beautiful. Then I turned the paper over. This was pasted on the back:

 This was pasted on the back:

I cried. I literally cried. Brody cared about me and this was how I treated him. He didn't like me for how I looked, he liked me because he thought I was beautiful inside and out. Tears came out. I looked at my shirt that said, Follow Your Heart.

Then I asked myself. Do I like Brody?