Chapter 5

Song up above.

"Okay, so you just make a left up here, then go straight." Paul directed me. We were in my truck going to Emily's house. Sam had decided to meet us there, although I had no idea how he was planning on doing that without a car.

"Sounds easy enough." I responded after a little bit.

I nodded my head towards him and that's when I realized he was starring at me. I quickly looked away, focusing my gaze on the road.

I looked back a second later, he was still looking at me with that same awe-struck expression.

"Why are you looking at me like that?" I questioned.

"Like what?" As if he didn't know. . .

"That!" I exclaimed, gesturing to the stupid expression on his face. It started to make me uncomfortable, and I didn't like it. Almost as if it was something I had seen somewhere else.

"Sorry, I can explain it later." I didn't really appreciate the way that I was being treated - like a confused toddler. If there was one thing that I didn't like, it was being lied to. And this wasn't exactly like that, but it was simalar. Secret-keeping wasn't exactly something I appreciated either.

"Why explain later when you can stop it now." I suggested with a hint of annoyance in my tone. I was getting really sick of all these riddles.

"I can't stop it."

"Sure you can't." I replied sarcastically.

"Let's change the topic." He suggested.

"Why!?" I challenged.

"Because I don't want to fight with you." He replied starting to get frustrated.

"Why!? I mean, it sure looked like you wanted a fight earlier!" I interrogated, thinking back to all the snarky side comments he made a while ago.

"Sorry, I didn't know back then." He replied gently.

"Know what!?"

"I can explain once we get to Sam's house. It's a more peaceful setting."

I pulled over on the side of the road. "If it's my peace of mind you're worried about, I can assure you that I haven't had peace of mind for the past month, so whatever you need to tell me, you can do it now."

"You better tell her now Paul." Jared shouted from the bed of the truck, perfectly at ease.

I raised an eyebrow.

"Fine." Paul sighed in defeat.

After a few moments of silence and waiting for Paul to start, Jared broke the silence. "Any day now, dude."

"I know, it's just I don't know how to explain it." Paul said stressfully

"How about you just show her." Embry said like it was obvious.

"I can't just phase in front of her!" Paul objected.

"Sure you can, it's how I would tell my imprint if I had one." Jared encouraged. I didn't like it though, it sounded like I was Paul's and I'm not anyone's.

"Besides, she already knows about our world." Embry pushed.

"We don't know for sure if she does, she could be completely clueless." Paul argued.

"C'mon Paul, did she look clueless to you yesterday?" Embry responded sarcastically.

Yesterday? I didn't see any of them yesterday. Did I? I thought back to the past 36 or so hours. No. . . I didn't see any of them!