buttercups.

❝something about you tugs at my heartstrings.❞

"what about your family?"

the two of them find a bench to settle down in as jeongguk hands an unwrapped ice cream to eunseo. people strolling in the park give them weird stares because it is, after all, winter. but jeongguk found out that eunseo does have lots of things in common with him. and one of them is being adventurous — do the things that people don't usually do, as long as you're happy.

"... i don't have one." she hangs her head low, preventing jeongguk from catching her expression.

"... oh." he trails off. "i'm sorry."

she looks up immediately, eyes widening. "no! don't be. it's fine."

when he doesn't reply, eunseo continues, "i lost them when i was very young. a car accident — my relatives had told me."

he ponders about sharing his own story. after all, he had lost his parents as well when he was just a baby. but the thing is — he had never told anyone about it before. he used to, but turns out people just give him a pitiful look, and it's something he really hates. before he can help it, however, the words slip from his chilled lips.

eunseo is silent for a moment as she looks up at the star-studded night sky, inhaling deeply. the ice cream stick hangs loosely from her fingers and jeongguk tilts her hand up immediately in order to stop the sweet treat from dripping off the tip when it melts.

she looks down in surprise and he retracts his hand immediately, a blush threatening to creep onto his cheeks. 

"i-it's melting." 

why are you stammering! he silently reprimands himself.

"ah!" raising her hand, eunseo quickly finishes off the remaining ice cream and chucks both hers and jeongguk's wooden sticks into the nearby bin. as soon as she arrives back at the bench, she looks at jeongguk.

"seems like we do have a lot of things in common, huh?"

a smile, and a tiny nod.

"yeah, i guess." 

at that moment, even with the harsh winds, the both of them feel warm. comforted. happy.