0_4

Bridges.

"Yo, I'm out aight." I say to the homie Chris. He furrows his eyebrows, laughing.

"Come on man it's just 12:30, the night is still young." He yells over the music. I chuck a scoff, taking my red cup in tote while raising it.

"I gotta get back to Cali in the morning bruh." He nods in understanding.

"I'll walk you out." Chris says, excusing himself through the crowd. One of the homies was having a house party, and since it was my last night in Chicago it was only right to come out with the homies.

Chris and I exit the house as more of the crowd stood outside partying. We engaged in deep conversation about football and women. All of a sudden we hear two SUV's swerve violently on the streets, but we thought it was a far distance. Not paying any attention to it, we heard the squeaking of breaks and gunfire just went off. The terror of screams and breaking glass sounded as I fell to the ground, motionless.

"Darius, Darius!" A female voice screams. I drowned in and out, feeling the pain throughout my body. I look to my right, coughing up blood as I see Chris dead beside me in cold blood. His gun still in his grip.

"Aye!" A deep voice calls. I turn my attention to the figure, seeing a flash of light and the sound of the gun goes off.

I flutter my eyes open, sighing heavily as I turn over to the view of my balcony. It's one of those lonely Thursday nights again well any night is lonely for me honestly. I come home to nothing everyday and you think I've gotten use to it but nope. Things will get better soon though, I have the faith. I rise from my bed and strip of my work clothes from today. I didn't have much trouble out of Deanda since I told her off yesterday.

I hate to be rude and obnoxious, but I hate disrespect. If I give you nothing but respect, that's what I expect in return. Deanda is a beautiful woman, but her attitude sucks. I don't know what's up with her, but whatever is bothering her got her all messed up. When she was just working on the floor like the rest of us, she was fine. As soon as she got that title two years back, shit changed. Her whole persona changed with it.

After changing into some sweats and a t-shirt, I grab my ringing phone. I see its my mom, probably calling to check up on me every now and again. We haven't talked since last Friday, so it's about that time again.

"Hey mom." I smile.

"Hey Darius, are you home?" She questions sweetly. I knew what that meant.

"Yea why, you and pop trying to pop up on a nigga?" I chuckle. She laughs lowly.

"I done told you about disrespecting yourself, but no just me. Your father is working late and you know I get lonely. I also haven't cooked for you-"

"Say no more, you know how much I miss your cooking?" I laugh as she does the same. I haven't been home in months and I honestly miss my mother's cooking.

"Ok, I'll be over there in forty-five minutes at the latest." She says.

"Aight mama. I love you."

"I love you too." I hang up and put my phone back on the charger, and rub my hands together. I know how to cook for myself, but it's nothing like your mother's cooking. My mama throws down in the kitchen, and she knows it to. I wonder what's she's cooking tonight.

I look around my bedroom, seeing I need to clean up before my mother's arrival. She would have a fit if she came here seeing my condo is a mess. I don't like mess either, but when you're working and tired all the time not cleaning happens.