Chapter 6

Chapter 6

            “What? What? What?” Dory screamed in the car ride to an adventure park.

            “Dory,” I said softly. She didn’t listen; she kept saying ‘What?’, “Dory!”

            “What?” she giggled at me, making me giggle with her too.

            “Are you going to have fun today?” I smirked at her from the mirror.

            “No, not at all.” She shook her head, playing with her fingers.

            “What? Why not,” I pouted, stopping since old people were crossing the street.

            “Because daddy isn’t coming.”

            I bit my lip, and straightened up in my seat, getting a little bit uncomfortable with Robert being in the situation. It was barely an hour since the hallway incident happened, and I didn’t want to tell Dory, ‘cause she’d through the worlds hugest fit on why daddy doesn’t love her. It’s happened a couple times this year.

            “You’re going to have fun, I promise.” I reassured, “You’ll call daddy in a little bit, okay?”

            She nodded, playing with her fingers.

            “Doraline, what are you going to do at the adventure park?” I asked her when there was a red light.

            “I’m going to ride the tea cups, win a panda bear, eat cotton candy, have a butterfly on my face, ooh, and ride the go carts with you.” she kept going on.

            “What about watching the circus act with monkeys?” I chuckled.

            “Yes! I love those monkeys!” she giggled.

            “Well, you are a monkey yourself.” I laughed at her, tickling her stomach.

            She frowned at me, “I’m a monkey? Y-you called me a monkey.”

            “No, no, it’s a joke honey! It was a joke, it was a joke,” I sighed then turned back to a normal driving position.

~*

*~

            “Dory, c’mon it’s time to go!” I told Dory for the fifth time.

            “No!” she pouted, “I don’t want to go home.”

            “We’ll come back on the weekend, with daddy,” I put my hand against her face, rubbing my thumb against her cheek.

            She eyes sparkled at the mention of daddy coming to the adventure park with her.

            “Yeah, I want daddy to come with us,” she smiled, taking my hand off her face and into her little hand. “Is daddy going to pick us up at the house? Is daddy going to bring you flowers? Is daddy going to hug me?” she asked a lot of questions.

            “I-I don’t know; I called him when you were getting your face painted and said that he’d like to come soon with us.”

            “Did you tell him I said hi?”

            “Yes, I told him you said hi, and he said hi back and to be a good girl.” I smiled.

            “Mommy,” she whispered.