Chapter 1

I smiled as my boyfriend, Austin Gregory, slid his strong arms around my waist. I pushed my hair to one side of my neck while he kissed the other. 

Just a few hours ago we had entered Kayla Strong’s very large house hand in hand. Apparently, Kayla’s parents evacuated the mansion and let her throw a party every time she catches them in disapproving situations. I guess it happens a lot because she has a party at least every other weekend. 

I wondered if my friends noticed I had disappeared to the narrow-roofed attic. I guess if they put two and two together they would notice Austin was gone too and know we were together. 

They will flip when I tell them about the whole escapade. I would have kept daydreaming but Austin woke me back up. 

“Sydney?” He looked deeply into my eyes as he unbuttoned his shirt. 

“Austin, do you really think we should do this? It just seems weird in here.”  I slid off the granite counter and smoothed my hair back into place.

“Of course it’s weird in here, Syd.” He nodded then pulled me closer, “Sydney, I don’t care where I am or when it happens, but when I do this, I want it to be with you. I love you.”

“Austin, you know I love you but it seems like its not the right time.” I slid my fingers down his defined abs. “It’s so hard to say no to you. Once we start kissing, you know we won’t stop until someone catches us.”

“It’s a good thing we didn’t tell anybody we came up here then, no one will catch us.” He smiled his toothy grin. 

“See? I want you so bad—“ he cut me off.

“Then just be with me, Syd! Don’t shut me out! I love you!”

“I’m not shutting you out, and you know I love you. I just want my first time to be special!”

“I am special!”

“That’s not what I mean. You just don’t get it! You’ve already done it before, Austin. I haven’t, and I want to be married when I do it for the first time.”

“But what if you don’t get married until you’re 45?”

“Well, I guess I’ll be a virgin until I’m 45!” I shouted.

“That’s what makes you so special to me, Sydney. You actually care about yourself, and your reputation, and you have values and morals! And the fact that you’re beautiful makes you so much more special.”

“You’re amazing, Austin.” I paused for a few seconds, but it felt like hours. “But it seems like were in two different places in this relationship.”

“Sydney, are you breaking up with me? I don’t understand, what did I do?”

“I don’t know Austin. I think I need some time, to just think. You’re an amazing guy Austin, you just might not the guy for me.” I winced, waiting for a painful response.

“No! No, Sydney. You know that’s not true! I love you you love me. What more do you need?”

“Just because we love each other doesn’t mean were meant to be together.”

“Since when? I think that we could be together right now. We don’t have to do it Sydney. We can wait until later, a couple months, years, or until we get married. If that’s what you want, well wait!”

“Austin, that would be great, but you don’t want to wait. And that’s ok. I’ll be fine and so will you. Someday an amazing girl will come along and you will be so in love, that you won’t even remember me.”

“What if that amazing girl isn’t walking to me, she’s walking away?” I could tell that Austin was feeling a lot of pain right now. But I knew that this was the right decision right now. 

“Austin, if were meant to be together, it will happen. If we are really soul mates, then we’ll end up together. But, until then, I think that we should see other people.” I looked down; a tear trickled down my rosy cheeks.

“Sydney, I’ve never felt this much pain. Not even when I broke my leg in three places.”

“I know it seems stupid right now but you’ll see. In a few weeks you will realize why I’m doing this.” I slid on my leather jacket and was half way out the door when he stopped me.

“I will always love you, Sydney.”