Chapter 4

I laid in my bed thinking. So much had happened in one night. Austin was gone, and there was Max. Max. I didn’t know what to think about him. The guy I thought was a rebel, bad-boy, player, wasn’t any of those things. He was actually sweet, and sensitive, maybe even more innocent than I thought. Then I thought of my friends, I wonder what they would think if I told them that I spent my night with Max Chambers. Rachel would probably be jealous, she loved bad boys. She would want every detail of the night. I can just imagine her asking, “Did he kiss you? Where does this leave you and Austin?” Nicole would be shocked, probably saying something like, “He’s not your type, Sydney.” 

Before I knew it my eyelids were fluttering, trying to stay open. I groaned and turned to my clock, which read 3:30 AM. It was time to go to sleep. . .

________________________________________________

“So would you rather go to American Eagle or Urban Outfitters first?” My friend Rachel Maddox asked.

“Let’s head to Urban, then hit American Eagle, then we’ll go to the second floor and check out that new shoe store,” Nicole Lancaster was always organizing things. The girl was a born leader.

“Sounds great,” I agreed. “I saw a top in Urban I wanted to try on anyways.” We headed to the direction of the stores, pushing through crowds and dodging mad shoppers with their carts.

“So, Syd, how was last night? With Austin?” At that moment I must have looked like a deer in headlights. “Don’t play dumb! I saw you too head up stairs all alone!” Rachel giggled.

“Rach, about Austin . . .” Rachel and Nicole leaned closer. “I broke up with him.”

“What?” Nicole shrieked.

“I told him I didn’t want to be rushed into anything, I felt pressured, and to be honest I was trapped somewhere I really didn’t want to be.”

“Have you been thinking about this for a while?” Nicole asked sheepishly.

“No, it just kind of happened. He was trying to get me to go a little farther than I wanted to so I left.”

“Why didn’t you come find us? We could have talked to you about it.” Rachel muttered.

“I ran to my car, but it had a flat—“

“Sydney! Who helped you?” Nicole gasped.

“You wouldn’t believed me if I told you.” I smirked. The girls both looked at me wide-eyed. “Max. Chambers.”

Rachel gasped loudly. “MAX CHAMBERS?”

“Told you, I knew you wouldn’t believe me!”

“Details, Sydney, I need details.” Rachel said, finally sounding interested in what I was saying. 

“If you’re asking if something happened, the answer is no. All he did was give me a ride, fix my tire and we grabbed some food. That’s all.”

“That’s all?” Rachel’s eyes bugged out. She has always been so nosy, a busy body. Her big mouth and wondering mind have gotten her into trouble many times in the past. 

“Well, he did take me to his house, just to get his truck though,” I stated, making sure Rachel knew nothing happened between Max and I and nothing, would happen ever.

“You went inside Max Chambers house? Was it dark? Dirty? Clean? Did he show you where he deflowers innocent girls or is he a closet virgin?” Rachel gasped.

“Rach! Calm down. I went into the living room and garage, that’s all. Quit trying to make something happen when nothing happened. I repeat, nothing happened between Max and I.” I said sternly.