Chapter 3

“This is your home? Wow. This place is really nice.” I oohed over the expensive furniture and high-tech gadgets that filled the house, as I walked through the entrance. “Is anybody home?” The place seemed strangely quiet.

“Nah, my dad’s out of town. Business trip. My mom lives across town.” I guess his parents were divorced. It might have been a sensitive subject and I didn’t want to pry. 

“Do you have any siblings?” 

“Uh, yeah. I have two. My younger brother lives with my mom and my older sister lives in Philadelphia with her husband. You?”

“Two younger siblings. Nate and Hannah, they’re 9.” 

He nodded, like he was actually interested in the fact that my younger siblings were 9 nine-year old twins. “I guess we can go get food now. You still hungry?”

“Actually, I’m starving. I guess all that fighting with you worked up my appetite!”

“Yeah, well don’t get used to me being this friendly, Chambers. Once I get food I’ll be fueled up for another go.”

“Whatever you say. But I know I’m growing on you.” He winked at me.

I followed him to the garage where a shining pick-up truck was parked. His dad must have a pretty good job for him to have two nice vehicles.

He cranked the truck and waited for the garage door to rise. Springsteen by Eric Church played through the speakers. I hummed along with the beat, as it was one of my favorite songs.

“Hey, this song kind of describes us, Sydney.” I raised an eyebrow at Max.

“And how is that?”

“It’s summer, we’re 17, it’s a July Saturday night. What a coincidence.”

“Huh, I guess you’re right.” I chuckled at the similarity. “Hey, Max, I thought you had a girlfriend?” He never took his eyes off the road. I thought he might not have heard me. “Max?”

“Ihop sound good? I could go for a Cinnastack right now.”

“Uh, yeah that’s good, but—“ He swung into a parking place and hopped out the truck. Why wouldn’t he answer my question?

A slender redhead led us to a table in the back of the restaurant. She batted her eyes at Max as she handed us our menus. “I’ll have a coffee,” he sighed, ignoring the googly-eyed girl.

“Um, I’ll take a water.” 

“So, Bennett. Tell me about yourself. We’ve been in the same school since the first grade and this is the first time we’ve ever spoke.”

“Well what do you want to know?”

“Hmm, your family.”