Chapter 2

I swung the door open to my car and hopped in. It made weird noises as I tried to drive down the rocky driveway. With much frustration, I stuck it in reverse and put myself back into the parking spot. After I checked the gas, I was stumped. Then I noticed the flat as a pancake tire.

“Dammit!” I kicked the failed tire. 

“Rough night?” A strangely familiar boy with sandy blonde hair and unbelievably beautiful blue eyes was standing above me, a red Solo cup in hand. “Here, take a drink, it will relieve all the stress.”

“I’m not stressed.” I rolled my eyes. Who did this guy think he was?”

“Yes you are. I can tell.”

“Well you don’t know me. I’m fine.”

“You’re a stressed out, hormonal teenage girl. You can do some damage.”

“Yeah, probably, so back off.” I pushed his shoulder as I walked to get my phone out of my car.

“You need a ride? My bikes over there.” He pointed to a cluster of vehicles near a swimming pool.

“Your bike?” Did he seriously think I was going to ride a bike all the way to my house? Was he stoned or something?

“Yeah, motorcycle.” Oh, of course it is. I should’ve guessed that. He didn’t seem like the type of guy to drive around on a ten-speed. Actually he seemed to me like he had one speed: dangerous. 

“Um, I don’t know. I don’t even know your name. What makes you think you can just waltz over here and whisk me away on a bike?” 

“Hey, I’m just trying to be helpful. And who do you think I am? All I did was offer you a ride, you always jump to these conclusions?” he winked and I blushed madly. God, snap out of it Sydney! 

“Ugh, never mind. I’ll hitch a ride with one of my friends.” I turned around and stomped around to find one of my friends.

“Hold up! I don’t even know your name! Hey!”

“Well, I know yours. Your Max Chambers, right? Thought that was you. You got suspended last year for pouring vegetable oil in the hallway of the teacher’s work room and made that ancient History teacher break a hip?” 

He cracked up laughing. “It’s about time you recognize me. We’ve only had like 29 classes together in the past 10 years.”

“I don’t really focus on people in my classes. Its bad enough that I have to be there, but all the people are so superficial.” 

“Not all of them . . .” he whispered.

“Oh, really? Name one person in that God-forsaken place that isn’t all about themselves.” 

“I’m not.” He smirked. I rolled my eyes. “Hey, wait! You play volleyball right?”

“Whoa, whoa wait. You actually attend school functions? The ‘Rebel Without a Cause’, Max Chambers, attends volleyball games?” 

“Um, a bunch of hot girls prancing around in tight, tiny shorts? I mean most of the girls are pretty skanky, but there’s a few that aren’t.” He chuckled. I rolled my eyes.

“So you are the stereo-typical pervert of Handler High School.” I huffed as I tracked back to the party.

“Now, listen here, Bennett. We already went over this, I’m not like those other guys! I’m serious. You should have more faith in people.” 

“Faith? You are a complete stranger! Why should I have faith in you!” 

“Well for starters, I am not a complete stranger. We have been in the same grade since Kindergarten. And most years, the same class! I know that you’re full name is Sydney Grace Bennett, I heard the math teacher call it out last year. You hang with the popular kids. You’ve got the big house, perfect baseball player boyfriend, and beautiful friends. And I will admit, you’re a beast at volleyball, from what I can tell. But what do I know? I’m a complete stranger.” He spun around and trotted back to his bike. Wow, he did know me. Way better than I knew him!