5)Degrading Acts

"Gasoline" by Halsey
********************

***
Cami had no more words left. The struggle was over; their fate was sealed. The brutal reality of their situation sank in as they were overpowered and thrown harshly to the ground. Their wrists were bound with plastic cuffs, securing them tightly. Hayden's grisly demise made it painfully clear that this was no elaborate prank. This was a terrifying reality they could not ignore. The onset of summer had been shattered by a nightmare they could not escape.

There were apparently monsters and demons in the world, but that wasn't the worse aspect of this horrifying news. It was that the supernatural was winning. One of the men holding Nikki down started to laugh cruelly as he grinded his clothed hips against her small butt as she lay sprawled on the floor sobbing. Others screamed and begged for mercy; Russell even drunkenly offered money in exchange for living. It didn't matter what anyone said or did to fight back; they couldn't outmuscle monsters. That's what these men were; heartless beasts. Kohl's demeanor had shifted entirely. No longer the easygoing party crasher, he now exuded the cold authority of a man who meant business. His eyes, still glowing an eerie red, scanned the group with a chilling detachment. "I want the livestock separated into two categories," Kohl ordered, his voice clipped and commanding. "Male and female."
One of the burly men nodded, his expression serious. "Boss, are we separating by race and gender, or just gender?"
"Just gender for now. We'll handle the rest later."

The man moved to comply, his heavy boots thudding on the floor as he began to organize the group. Cami, still bound and struggling to keep her composure, noticed the severity in Kohl's voice. The shift from casual partygoer to ruthless captor was stark and unsettling. Britney and Nikki, their faces streaked with tears, huddled together. Melanie's eyes were red-rimmed, but she was trying to stay stoic, her lip quivering with suppressed emotion. Trey grimaced in pain, his broken finger clearly throbbing. Adam, despite his best efforts, couldn't reach Cami, and the men's harsh handling of everyone left no room for hope.
Cami had stopped crying, her mind shifting into overdrive. She needed to stay alert, to remember every detail of their surroundings. Wherever these men were taking them, she had to retain enough information to lead the authorities back to the scene. The realization that she had almost skipped this trip now seemed ironic and haunting. She had wanted to avoid underage drinking in a remote cabin.

"Are you sure, boss?"
Kohl rolled his eyes with a derisive sigh, clearly unimpressed by the question. "Only gender. Auctioneers want variety when it comes to livestock. Nobody wants a market cluttered with mismatched genders," he snapped. "Secondly, make them more presentable. Strip away their piercings, ensure their bodies are displayed without a single bruise or mark. No one values damaged goods. Once they're transported, conduct thorough testing. Assess their intelligence, the languages they speak, and any other talents. The more abilities they have, the higher the bid. Ensure all this information is ready for the announcers at auction time."
Cami, overwhelmed with revulsion, couldn't hold back any longer. "THIS IS INSANE!" she shouted, her voice breaking with disgust and fear. She glared at Triton, who was standing apart from the others, his face a mask of discomfort and hesitation.

"WHY??" she demanded, her voice rising in desperation. She locked eyes with Triton, who seemed to flinch under her gaze. Even though he was one of the silent ones who had earlier said nothing, his eyes now betrayed a flicker something that Kohl didn't. Remorse. It was clear he was not enjoying this; he had shown his unease the moment Hayden was murdered. Triton's gaze softened, and for a brief moment, he seemed to shudder in response to Cami's plea.
"Don't let them do this to us!" she screamed, her voice echoing through the room. As the man holding her roughly turned her around and slapped her across the face, she barely flinched, her eyes locked on Triton's. Tears streamed down her face, but her focus remained solely on him. "DON'T LET THEM KILL US!" she cried out, her voice hoarse with anguish.
Triton's expression was a complex blend of conflict and sorrow, but he remained silent, his role in this grim scene seeming to weigh heavily on him.

"HEY! I SAID NO MARKINGS!" Kohl roared, his voice cutting through the room as he stormed toward the man who had hit Cami. With a powerful swing, he struck the burly employee, who staggered back in fear. "You moron! Girls sell better than men," Kohl sneered, his eyes flashing with irritation. He loomed over Cami, shaking his head in exaggerated disappointment. "Sweetheart, you'd do well to hold your tongue. There might be someone who finds tongues quite a delicacy."
Cami's eyes widened in horror at the chilling implication. The thought that she could be sold to someone who considered human body parts a delicacy was too surreal to grasp. She glared at Kohl, her face a mix of anger and disbelief. Triton, standing aside with an air of detachment, spoke up with a cold, stiff voice. "I found you a large group; my work here is done." His face was devoid of any pleasure, only an unmistakable look of disgust and perhaps guilt.
"Make your presentation in Athens, and then you may go. Twenty-five groups of seven or more; you've done very well, Triton. Anubis will be pleased with this bountiful harvest," Kohl said, his smile as slick as ever. "Consider that half of your payment to him complete."