Chapter 12

Nick

I felt like I was waking up from a deep sleep when I opened my eyes & realized I was in a hospital. Why was I in a hospital? Was I in an accident? I searched frantically in my memory & couldn't find anything that would end with a visit to the hospital. I laid in the bed, scanning the room I was in. I saw the machines next to me, which is how I knew I was in a hospital. My head felt a little foggy & my body felt like jello. I tried to move my arms & it took a while to finally get them to move. My head took longer to turn from side to side. I opened my mouth, that felt incredibly dry. Then I realized how bad my throat hurt. It was throbbing like someone stabbed me in it. I reached up with my hand to touch my neck & it felt normal, so that relieved me.

I heard soft breathing over the beeping from the hospital machine, so I looked around to find who was with me. I saw Demi leaning on my bed, on her arms that were folded under her head. Her head was upright a little, resting, slightly, on my waist. She was sleeping & I never saw her look more adorable. Her hair was up in a loose ponytail & she wore no makeup. Her eyes were puffy. It looked like she had been crying. I stared at her face for awhile. Her mouth was open a tiny bit & her breathing was quiet. After several minutes of staring at my gorgeous girlfriend & trying to get the fog out of my head, I reached my hand out to touch her cheek.

Demi's eyes opened, slowly & widened when she saw my face

Demi's eyes opened, slowly & widened when she saw my face. I smiled, even though it hurt to move my lips. They felt tight & my muscles, hurt, all over. Demi's head came up as a smile took over half her face. She said nothing, only stared, so I reached for her hand. She squeezed my hand & it felt incredible. I swallowed & the pain was unreal. "Ow." I said, but it came out as a whisper. I really had no voice.

Demi sighed. "Nick. Oh my God, you're awake." She stood & then hugged me, feeling so warm I didn't want her to let go. Her lips were all over my face as she left several kisses on my cheek. She was looking into my eyes after a few kisses. "Can you say my name? Do you know who I am?" What the hell was she talking about? Why wouldn't I know who she was? What the hell happened to me?

I squeezed my eyes shut, anticipating the pain as I swallowed again. "Demi." I answered. Her face looked so relieved. I needed something wet in my throat. It felt so dry, that it felt like it was on fire even when I wasn't swallowing. "Water." I squeaked out.

"I need to call the doctor to make sure you can have a drink." Demi reached for something over my head. "I am so happy you are awake. Do you know where you are?"

"Hospital." My voice was barely audible & I was highly annoyed.

"Do you remember what happened?" She ran her hand over my hair & the sensation felt amazing. It made me forget the burning in my throat if only for a brief moment.

I shook my head at her & licked my chapped lips. That felt good to make my lips wet. Now if only I could have some water. A nurse appeared, smiling. "Welcome back, Nicholas. You had some worried people here for the last few days." A few days? I've been here for a few days & I'm just now waking up? What the hell happened? I looked at Demi, my eyes wide, I'm sure. Seeing her reassuring smile & feeling her stroke my skin & hair made me relax a little.