Chapter 8

Nick

When Blanda had told me what I had said to Demi in a drunken stupor, I felt sick. I didn't hate her. I don't know why I said that to her. Blanda gave me her possibilities & they made sense. I don't remember saying it, so I don't remember who I was picturing in my head, when I said it. In any case, Demi & I were fine in spite of it.  

We continued working on our album & were in the studio more often, now, as we had a deadline & it was fast approaching. Phil didn't spend much time with us after the first few songs were recorded. He trusted us. I brought in my good friend, Paul, to help with the production, too, so he was with us quite a bit. It was early August when Demi & I were at the studio one day, trying to come up with a title for our album. We had been discussing it, occasionally, over the last few weeks & nothing was jumping out at us. No matter what either of us suggested, it just didn't feel right.  

"We're done with the recording for the most part. Now I'm looking at the track list & this album really does tell a story." I said to Demi who was sitting on a chair beside me, playing with her phone. "I swear to God, if you are texting your boyfriend instead of trying to come up with a title, I am tossing your phone out the window." I sighed. 

Demi laughed, not looking up

Demi laughed, not looking up. Her feet were propped up on a counter. "No, I'm trying to come up with a title. I'm looking back through all my photos of us to see if something inspires me." 

"Good." 

"You're right, though. It does tell our story, except..." Demi put her legs down & sat up to look at me. She let out a small breath. "Our story doesn't have a happy ending. I think that's why it's so hard to come up with a title." 

"What do you mean? It's a happy ending. Our last song is about how we got back to the friendship we weren't sure we'd have again. Doesn't get any happier than that." I shrugged my shoulders, matter-of-factly. 

"Really? If I was reading our story as a book, I'd be really pissed if that is how it ended. Or if it was a movie, I would want my money back." 

"Lots of movies & books don't end the way you might want. Doesn't make it any less important. That's life, Dems. '500 Days of Summer.' Remember we watched that movie? It was good, but it didn't end the way we thought it would. Or rather it didn't end the way you wanted it to. It was real." 

"I hated it. Besides, our life is not a movie. I'm not going to run & jump into your arms while some sappy love song plays." Demi chuckled. 

"Whatever. Anyway... we need to figure out a title. How are those pictures going to inspire you?" I nudged her leg with my foot, smiling at her.

 How are those pictures going to inspire you?" I nudged her leg with my foot, smiling at her