~Chapter 7~

Naomi

I stood in the grass with the beige wicker basket that he gave me from his trip to Asia nearly five years ago. Inside of it lay all of his favorite treats: carrots with hummus, Chinese food from the restaurant down the street from the house, grapes, green tea, and his secret midnight snack of a Kit Kat Bar.

"Good morning!" I smiled.

I set the blanket down and took everything out and set it accordingly to how I would eat it. First the Chinese food, then carrots and hummus, grapes, green tea, and the best Kit Kat bar for last. I sighed and gave a little laugh.

"Ah, you eat so much food. I'm going to get fat and my skin is going to break out," I joked.

I began eating the food slowly and quietly all while taking in the fresh air. It was beautiful weather with the sun being out but the air being sweet and playing with my skin. A perfect day for a picnic such as this.

"It's been a while. I'm sorry for that. I know it was sudden discontinuation of our picnics in the park. I went away for a while, but now I'm back for college. See? I'm as smart as you said I was. Guess I never believed it," I shrugged.

"By the way, did you know Alan ended up there? Well, of course you did. That was a dumb question." I sighed, "Who would've known we'd ever meet again? Especially in this kind of situation. I'm still kind of mad about it, but I'm getting used to it slowly."

I opened the Kit Kat package. "Though last week he attacked me with oranges after insulting me. How immature was that? The man is twenty years old now and he attacks someone younger than him with oranges! I still have bruises on my back."

My hands flew up in the air as I scoffed. "And then the girl who bullied me from the time I even entered school showed up at my bedroom door in my house and called me a bitch." I rolled my eyes, "When I found out they were together I literally picked up an orange that was by my foot and threw it at his head. He had a headache the next day."

I looked at the empty Kit Kat package and felt myself give a small smile as the wind caused shivers down my arm. "Though I hate him," I started, "I couldn't help but feel like we were back in the old times."

My throat had a knot in it as I whispered, "It was actually fun." I could hear the leaves rustling with the wind and the skies got grey as the clouds blocked the sun. The tears started falling down my face, but I quickly wiped them away and smiled.

"If only things wouldn't have gone that way, I probably wouldn't be this way. So malicious."

Just then, my phone started vibrating in my pocket. I pulled it out to see who it was. Sure enough, the caller id displayed the name "Dumb Shit." Great.

"What do you want?" I answered.

"Where are you?" he asked. He sounded rushed.

"Why the hell do you care?"

"I need to get to work and you don't have any keys to this house so either you need to come home or you need to stay out until I get home at 10 p.m." he told.

I groaned. "Why don't you just leave the back door open? I'm not waiting for you to finish your shady ass job."

"Great fucking idea, Naomi. Just let somebody rob the damn place. Are you sure you got into Berkley?"

I pressed the 'End Call' button and began to pack up all the leftover containers and packages from the picnic. Once I had everything together, I stood up, sighed, and put another smile on my face. "Sorry about that. You see how he treats me? Such an ass."

My hand gripped the three tiger lilies I brought as I placed them down. They had been tied with a red ribbon which represented his favorite color. They splayed out in a particular fashion and the reappearing sun made the orange on the flowers almost translucent.

"I really wish tombstones could relay messages," I sighed. "Then I could feel like I was talking to you again. I really hope you are resting in peace. Until next time."

I waved goodbye and exited out the cemetery.

And I cried the entire way home.