Chapter 8 //

Hours later, I was still shaking with anger. How could she make herself the victim in all of this? The Claire I knew was gone. She didn't care about me anymore. All she seemed to care about is that I left this God forbidden town and I actually made it. I was among the few who left and never returned. It was like Utah had had a gravitational pull on its residents that made sure they never wandered off too far.

But Daphne and I were different and we escaped that force. And that drove Claire crazy. Her feelings of abandonment drove her into the arms of someone she knew would hurt me the way I hurt her.

I had never intended to hurt Claire, however. Never would I have expected that my success would be the root of Claire's emotional downfall.

"Michelle!" I yelled out from my bedroom.

"Yeah?" she yelled back. I didn't respond, knowing this would force her to get up and come to my room.

"Yeah?" she shouted for a second time. No response.

"Yes, Lena?" she firmly shouted a third time. Finally, I heard her angrily stomp from the living rom, up the stairs and to my room.

"What, Lena? Did you not hear me? Do you need a hearing aid?" she snapped.

"Calm down, Bridezilla. Come lay down, I think you deserve a twenty minute break." I assured.

She thought it over for a second before reluctantly laying down next to me.

"I didn't think it was going to be this stressful, Lena." she weakly whispered, rubbing her hands up and down her face.

"I don't think we ever realize how difficult something's going to be until it happens." I added, "But, it's gotta be worth it at the end, right?"

Michelle scanned my face as if she were trying to figure out what I was going on and on about.

"I think it will be." she smiled. "Do you think it will be?" she asked softly.

"I don't know." I admitted, "I mean, I hope so. But, I feel like I lost so much by leaving. I lost Jack, I lost Claire, I lost time with you, mom, and dad. And, for what? Now, I'm just under a mountain of stress that follows me around like a ball and chain."

"And so you took a break. Just because something stresses you out doesn't mean you want it any less. This wedding is stressful as hell but I want it more than anything. Sometimes I've got to take a step back and take a breath or two for my mental health, but that doesn't mean I'm cancelling the wedding. You're just breathing, that's all. I guarantee you, this is not for nothing. And as for Jack and Claire, you didn't lose them. They're still there, somewhere, you just have to find them."

"Why aren't you a motivational speaker?" I smiled. "You're right."

"Aren't I always?" she corrected, "I haven't gotten my wedding dress." she said blankly, "I'm getting married in like two seconds and I don't have a wedding dress." she said, as if it was her first time realizing this.

"Then, let's go." I commanded, hopping out of bed. "My treat."

Michelles eyes grew big, "No, I can't ask for that."

"Then, thank God you didn't." I remarked.

We both quickly rushed out of the house, high off the idea that the perfect dress had been out there and waiting for her.

The ride there had been what I so desperately craved. Normal. There was no parade of people following behind us, documenting our every move. It felt like nothing had changed and everything was okay.