Home

//quick update! i make a revised, edited version of this story and posted it as the last chapter. i'm keeping this version, the original, up in format because it has a lot of the charm (re:cringe) of my middle school writing and shows improvement, but if you want to skip to the not-as-mediocre writing, you can just skip ahead to chapter 8 now! thanks, and enjoy ^^

"Tsukki! Tsukki wait!" Yamaguchi called after his tall blonde friend, jogging to try and catch up to him.

He finally caught up, but he looked at his feet timidly instead of meeting Tsukishima's eyes. Yamaguchi was used to this. Their silent walks back to their respective houses.

He didn't mind. He just wanted to be near Tsukishima. Of course he wanted to tell him about his day, or the good grade he got on his quiz. But Tsukishima was silent, almost annoyed it seemed, so Yamaguchi stayed silent and enjoyed his presence.

Tsukishima put on his headphones as he turned into his driveway. The moment Yamaguchi dreaded and yet looked forward to.

"Bye Tsukki!" Yamaguchi called after him. He held his breath, but no response came. The door just closed, and Yamaguchi was left standing out in the night alone. Every night he came here, hoping Tsukishima would call back to him, say bye, give him a rare smile before he closed the door. But he was always sorely disappointed.

Sometimes he let himself dream that Tsukishima would even come and give him a kiss, confess his love. But this was the real world, not a cheesy fanfic.

He felt the disappointed tears well up in his eyes, and he turned in the opposite direction to make his way back to his house. He wouldn't tell Tsukishima, but he passed his house ten minutes ago.. He enjoyed walking all the way with Tsukishima though, so he put up with the ten minutes alone the best he could.

When he got to his home he was late, as he always was. He called out a greeting to his mother as he slipped his shoes off.

"Yamaguchi, there's food on the table if you want it."

Yamaguchi sighed as he started making his way up the stairs. "No thanks mom, me and Tsukki got food after practice." That was a lie.

His mother was suddenly at the bottom of the stairs, smiling up at him. She was a little shorter than him, his dad had the height. But his mom gave Yamaguchi his freckles and brown-green hair. The problem was that these features looked calm and homely on his mother, but they looked out of place on Yamaguchi.

"I love you Yamaguchi." His mother said, almost as though she were chiding him, reminding him.

Yamaguchi nodded. "Love you too mom." He couldn't take any more of this, tears mysteriously welling up in his eyes, so he went up to his room and locked the door.

As he stripped down to change into his night clothes he stared into his mirror. What was it about him that made him so undesirable to Tsukishima? Was it his hair? His freckles? His eyes, his personality? Probably all of the above. He rubbed his fingers over his ribs, which were starting to jut out of his skin. How long had it been since he'd eaten? He couldn't remember, as he was never hungry recently.

As the tears welled up in his eyes he blinked them out, letting them roll down his cheeks to the floor. How could he change himself? Make it so he wasn't the only one that wanted to spend time together? Maybe he could cover his freckles, get contacts, dye his hair. Maybe he could put on muscle. How could he change to fit Tsukishima's desires?

Maybe... Just maybe, he could change so that Tsukishima could love him.

~•~

A/N

First chapter yay! I've literally got the whole thing written out so I'll probably post it on the span of a week or two because why not.
Don't worry it has a good ending *muffled evil author laugh in the distance*

~Canary