Chapter 4-Favourite Memories

I'm stupid. You're smart. I was wrong. You were right. You're the best. I'm the worst. You're very good looking. I'm not attractive.-Happy Gilmore Quotes

Raine's POV

I shifted in my seat, making more room for Derek and Jaek. But Jaek was the one who took up the extra space once there was any. Wyatt was driving the van, making sharp turns and cars go wild.

"You know" I said through gritted teeth. Wyatt made a sharp left turn and I slammed into my door with Jaek pushing himself at me. "When I said I'd get a job. I thought I would have done it by myself."

From the front of my the van, I could see and hear Aaryn (yes, we finally got enough money to bail him out) throwing his feet on top of the dash board with a very loud thump.

After that day with the 'not-so-secret-meeting', I've been job hunting by looking in the papers and around school if anyone needed any tutoring. No luck at all. Then, some of the guys wanted to 'help' me get a job. In a flash, images of working at McDonald's, Wendy's, and any other fast food restaurant came to mind.

"Raine, quit being such a big baby and lighten up. We can get you a job, right guys." Aaryn didn't say it as a question. He said it as a statement. The van was quiet for a second, the only noise were flaring horns and the uneasy hum/cough of the van. They agreed a few moments later.

An uncertain look crossed over my face and I tried to hide it. Jaek raised an eyebrow at me and I glared at him until he had to look away.  This whole trip was starting to make me uncomfortable.

*******************************************************

The manager gave me an uncertain look. "We need the help" she said finally and shrugged her tiny shoulders. She motioned for me to follow her to the back of the store, walking so fast I would have thought she was a tiger chasing its prey. I turned back, one last time to see Aaryn and Jaek slapping each other on the back while Wyatt and Derek were both giving me apologetic, nervous looks. I ran after the woman.

"What's your name?" She asked me, putting her hair into a tight ponytail using a ribbon. I watched her in awe and she raised her eyebrows at me.

"Raine Harold" I said tapping my fingers a bit on my thigh.

She looked down at the clip board that was in her hand was wrote something down quickly. "How old are you?"

 "Seventeen" I answered. The woman gave me a sad look and opened her mouth. "But" I said cutting her off before she could say anything else, "I'll be turning eighteen really soon."

The woman nodded her head, her shockingly dark green eyes smiled at me. I started to fidget in my seat (I hated being examined by people). She bent her head and wrote another thing down. She kept asking me questions about my family, where I lived and if I liked the neighbourhood. I started to finally relax when her ponytail came out. "Fuck" she said and sighed.

The bright red ribbon slowly made its way to the ground. She snatched it up and stared at it. "I hate these things. If you get the job, I hope you know how to tie your hair in a ribbon." She put a hand through her honey blonde hair, letting it loose and wild. She looked back up at me, and she looked younger than she did a few minutes ago. I guess ribbons and high ponytails didn't help with the look.

My heart started to beat faster and my hands started getting sweaty. My mother taught me the trick of tying your hair with a ribbon. It was a hard process, took me years to figure it out, but I finally got it. That was one of my favourite memories I had with my mom.

"Are you alright?" She asked me, leaning forward.

I shook my head and stood up, putting my hair over one shoulder I walked towards her. "I actually know how to tie hair with a ribbon."