Chapter 1

If you read this and like it please leave a comment or like it. This will be updated pretty slowly but I'll try to go as fast as I can. I hope you like it!!

_______________________________________________________________________________

I pull up to my cousins driveway in a small town called Boughrock, Ohio, preparing myself for the wave of hugs and kisses from my aunt, uncle, and cousins. I'm staying here for the rest of my junior year because my mom was temporarily relocated over seas My brothers are in different places though so I'm the only one who had to stay with our cousins.

I step out of the car into the brisk winter air and grab my bags from the trunk of the taxi and hand the driver money and thank him. He turns around and drives away down the long driveway. I start up the steps to my cousins house and knock on the door. The door opens, interrupting my knocking, and my cousin Samantha barrels into me. Pulling me in for a big bear hug. Sam and I are the closest cousins in the world. I don't get to see here very often but because we're so close in age and we are so similar we're practically sisters. Aunt Jane, Uncle Terrance, and my other cousin Will come out to great me.

"Oh heavens! Come in, come in! It's freezing out here!" Aunt Jane says as she ushers me inside.

"How ya doin' kid?" Uncle Terrance hugs me and rubs my head like he did when I was little.

"I'm doing great. How about you guys?" I glance over at Will who's hanging in a corner with his phone probably playing some game,"'Sup Willy?"

He looked up for a few seconds, gave me a thumbs up and a fake smile and looked back down at his phone. It went silent for a moment then Aunt Jane suddenly spoke.

"You must be starving honey! Samantha will take you up to your room so you can put your bags down and we'll eat dinner, okay?"

"Yeah sure," I smile faintly and follow Sam upstairs. The house looked exactly the same as it did when I visited two years ago. The stained glass window on the stairs had frost collected around the edges, but there were the same pictures hung up on the walls of our families at different holidays, and pictures of Sam and Willy. I would be going to Sam's high school once Christmas break ended. Speaking of Christmas, it was only two days away. I got all the presents for my cousins before I came and they were wrapped and in my bags waiting to be put under a tree. Sam led me to the end of the hallway where the guest bedroom was. It had gotten a new coat of paint but it still looked like it did when we would play video games on the big TV in the corner. I set my bags down and checked my phone. One text from Josh. My heart sank and fluttered simultaneously. I didn't want to open it in front of Sam, so I turned over my phone and set it on the bedside table.

"'Kay Claire Bear, I'll let you get settled. Come down whenever you're ready, mom's prepared a feast," I turned around kind of startled. I nodded.

"Okay kid, I'll be down in a sec," she walked out and closed the door leaving me alone standing by the window. I sat down on the bed and turned my phone back over, looking at the notification from Josh. Josh is my boyfriend, probably not for much longer though. Before break, I told him I would be living in Ohio for the rest of the year. He seemed fine with it when I told him but the next few days he started acting weird. He barely talked to me or returned my texts. Before then, we were inseparable. Best friends in love, but now he's been acting like we barely know each other. It almost felt like all the memories we made together were melting away. Like we haven't been friends since first grade, or went to our first school dance together, or had our first kiss under the bleachers after I performed during halftime in the marching band freshman year, or officially started dating last year, I couldn't believe him. I opened the text.