Chapter 5

I hope y'all are enjoying the story. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------

As I walked into the door to my math class I was hit in the head with a paper ball. Some kids snicker and I see a group of guys sitting in the back all grinning like idiots. Big accomplishment guys. As I move towards a seat by the door, the teacher walks in and I pray that she won't make me stand in front of the class. She looks up and examines the classroom and her eyes land on me. I shift under her gaze. Maybe she won't. She smiles. Oh god, she will.

"All right everybody, get to your seats, I have an announcement," all the students shuffle to their seats," We have a new student joining us today. Her name is Claire, everybody please say hello."

There was a chorus of hi's and hello's, and not once did she make me stand up at the front of the class. Once everyone moved past the fact that there's a new kid and we started class, I sped through all the worksheets because I had already started this unit at home and I knew it already. While everyone was still working I just put my headphones in and read.

--------------------------

Everything after that went well until lunch came. I walk into the large cafeteria lit by the pale light outside plus the shitty lights from the high ceiling. I searched the cafeteria for a place to sit. I couldn't find a place anywhere. Then someone came up from behind me and lightly shoved me. I turned to face them knowing that the only comment I would make would be in my head. Then I recognized that it was Christopher.

"You weren't lying about going to Millard," I say with a shocked face. He smiled at my comment.

"Nope, I wasn't," he chuckled (which is a weird word but he did).

"Chris, get over here!" he turned to see a girl waving for him to come over.

"Guess I gotta go. See ya!" he turned and walked to his group of friends and I looked around and I decided to sit outside. Stupid idea, but I did it. Turns out this school wasn't like my last school and didn't have tables outside so I found a tree and took out the brown plastic bag that had my lunch. I shivered as I put on my headphones and played my Reeve Carney playlist and sat watching a squirrel eye my sandwich. The trees sway in the breeze and my hair finds its way into my mouth. I hold up a leaf from the ground in the sunlight. I admire it for a bit and start thinking. When the sunlight hits the leaf you can see all the veins, you can try to imagine how it works, what it does. What was it thinking? If it could. I then realized that I must look like some Pinterest bitch and I put the leaf down. The squirrel still sat looking at my sandwich as I contemplated the leaf. I stared back into its black eyes.

"Aren't you supposed to be hibernating or something?" it looked like it was tilting its head in questioning, and its tiny ear with a hole in it twitched. I scoff,"Whatever, you can have my sandwich."

I toss the sandwich over to the squirrel and it struggles with it as it carries it off. I close my eyes and lean my head against the tree. My nose has started to freeze off when a voice spoke.

"You're under my tree," I open my eyes and look at the figure outlined by sunlight.

"What?" they knelt down in front of me so I could see their face.

"This is my tree," he looked at me with icy blue eyes and such a hard face," Also you shouldn't feed George, he'll keep coming back if you do."

I just stare with my mouth hanging slightly open. I mean this kid had to be kidding. Who gives such a big deal about a fucking tree.

"G-George?"

"The squirrel."

"Oh," he looked at me expectantly,"What?"