Chapter 5

I slam the door, feeling an arrow smash into it through the wall. My dad stands up and we stare at each other for a moment, shocked, before turning and looking at the arrow in the wall. And of course, at that moment a very hung over Ray walked into the room, yawning.

                “Anyone want some coffee?” he asks, snapping my dad, but not me out of his trance.

                “Yes please.” My dad walks past me, nudging me as he does, and I make a strangled sound, sure that demigods will come bursting in any second and kill me. And if they do, they will kill me. My dad can only save me so many times, not to mention it will look strange to Ray if I keep coming back to life. Actually, demigods trying to kill me in full Greek armor will probably look weird to Ray too.

                Ray flips the switch on our kettle, rubbing his temples as he pours instant coffee into two cups. Even hung over he manages to grin and give me a once over. “You look worse than I do! Up all night?” I nod, still not capable of comprehensible speech. The kettle goes off and he pours hot water into the mugs, handing dad his before walking towards the couch to sit down.

                “It’s weird, I never wake up this early, but there was this terrible racket going on outside and I woke up. Can’t hear it anymore, probably just a dream.”

                “Mmmhmm.” He looks back at me funnily and opens his mouth to say something when his eyes land on the arrow.

                “What is that?!” I look at dad, but he takes a hasty gulp of coffee and shrugs at me. Thanks a lot.

                “An arrow?” I say weakly. Usually I’m a lot cleverer, but I’m tired and still in shock.

                “Yeah, I can see that, but why is it in your wall?” I’m saved from answering by Morpheus appearing in our living room. Ray drops his coffee causing Morpheus to turn and look at him.

                “Oops.”

                “Nice going.” I say and he looks back at me.

His eyes are humorless, and he turns towards my dad and says in the most serious voice I had ever heard from them, “We need to get her out of here, now!”

I don’t have time to wonder why he had this sudden change of character because at that moment the door explodes off its hinges and we’re all sent flying into the opposite wall. Morpheus is up first, and he helps me to my feet just in time for me to see Ray and dad picking themselves off the floor. A tall girl with a helmet that covers her face appears in the doorway. She’s holding a long sword that crackles with energy and a shield with a lightning-bolt on it. And as if it wasn’t already clear that she was a daughter of Zeus, she was surrounded by a cyclone of rotating air that sent objects flying as she advanced towards me, not a hair out of place. A chair was sent flying at Ray, and I tried to yell duck at him, but my words were whisked away by the gale force winds.

She sneered at me, and charged me, lunging out with her spear. I spun to the right, barely missing the strike that went straight through the wall with an explosive bang. I fell to by knees, rolling to my side and leaping to a crouch as she turned and struck at where I had just been. I panted, my eyes wide with fear, this girl was in a whole other league than the brute I had fought first. Ray leapt at her, trying to help, but she just increased her cyclone and he was flung at the wall, sliding down and landing in a heap. He didn’t get up. I glanced to see where Morpheus and Dad were, but I couldn’t see them. The girl let out a strike and hit the ground at her feet with her spear. A shock wave hit me with a ginormous force and I was thrown through the wall of the trailer, landing hard on my back twenty yards away.

I had never felt pain like this before. I felt as if all of my bones were broken, and in reality, a lot of them probably were. Struggling to breath I lay there, seeing her shadow looming up beside me, I shut my eyes, waiting for the inevitable end. She crouched down beside me, a sneer scrunching up her pretty features.

“When I’m done with you, maybe I’ll go and take your boyfriend as a sacrifice to the gods. You know, as a thank you for my immortality.” My hands scrunched into fists and my eyes snapped open. Her cyclone was gone, and she was looking back at the trailer, so when I reached up and grasped her arm in my hand, she wasn’t expecting it.

“You. Won’t. Touch. Him.” I struggled out, summoning up all my anger at her and pushing it into her body. She looked down at her arm in surprise, seeing the veins bulge as my curse traveled up her arm until it reached her lungs. Her eyes widened in surprise and her mouth opened and closed like a fish as she struggled for air that wouldn’t reach her lungs. We locked eyes, mine impassive as I watched her die. She slumped to the ground beside me the electricity leaving her spear.

At that moment if someone had tried to kill me, I wouldn’t have been able to lift a finger. Someone’s face appeared in my sight. Ray. He turned and yelled something to someone, and soon Morpheus and Thanatos were there too. I watched their panicked faces as they struggled with what to do. I felt the pain receding from my bones, and my eyes began to slide shut. I felt myself being lifted just as I fell into the depths of unconsciousness.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you to everyone who has read this far. So this one was pretty serious, but i like fights, do you like fights? Vote if you like it and give me feedback! I always need extra tips. :)