Contracted Delivery

"I need those chocolate grated! Quickly people! We have hungry masses to feed. The deadline hour is nearing," I shouted over the hum of mixing machines and fiery hot ovens, while clapping my hands to hustle my employees' to up their speed and to focus fully on their duties. The clock hands were close to the time of 9:30 and even filled with the loud hum of the kitchen's equipment at full capacity. I could clearly hear the hustle and bustle, and whispering murmurs of customers flooding into the shop and echoing off the walls in the kitchen from the main front entrance.

        "Boss!" a desperate female employee from the cashier came running in the kitchen and barely dodging the other workers, "...people are complaining about how much longer they have to wait"
Giving the new young hire the most coldest stare I could muster, so she would regret disturbing me during the rush hour and my shop's busiest time of the day. I then stormed out of the kitchen with the new girl following close behind me. She was very quiet.

When I opened, my rather small bakery, it never occurred to me at how quickly a business could grow in a short amount of time. I never anticipated that after 3 years that daily, my little shop would be packed with people and items get sold out just before closing time. Nor did I expect my most popular item and best seller would be the croissants, especially the chocolate kind. Not that I'm complaining, really! At least I don't have to worry too much about paying my monthly bills and the rent.

Everyday through it seems to gets busier and busier. Which I assume is a good thing, for a business. 

I soon arrived to the front counter and it didn't take long for me to be able see which certain customer was giving the cashiers a hard time.

            "What seems to be the problem?" I intervened. 

            "You must be the owner!" the elderly man stated. His tone immediately informed me he's one of those trouble makers.

            "That would be me," judging by his suit, I deduced he was the kind of man that, most definitely, lacks patience and is used to being served on hands and feet.

            "Your workers here can't seem to tell me how much longer I must wait. Why aren't your croissants ready yet?" He hit the varnished wood table counter," I've been waiting for nearly an hour!" He raised his tone, letting all to hear.

This man just had to make my day by having to be the troublesome type. Having plenty of experience of dealing with people like him before, I took a stool located near a corner and stood on it. Looking down on the sea of people I called for their attention, "Ladies and gentlemen, please note that the croissants are served at the 9:40 am as stated on notices on the walls. Those who cannot wait until the designated time than I suggest you leave and come back at a later hour. Though I cannot guarantee that the items you desire won't be sold out by that time. Thank you for your patience and understanding," I stepped down and was satisfied by the embarrassed flush across the face of the older trouble-making customer. Those that have been buying from my store since the beginning know that when I make a public announcement. I do it too shut up a noisy customer. It's my very own crafted method to quickly deal with these sort kind of people. And so far, the method has been working. 

Now silent and feeling humiliated, the complainer stood where he was with arms crossed and angry frown fixed to his face. I also made sure to inform the new girls that when they encounter a person, like that old man, they must motion to the notices posted on the walls because that is what they are there for, to keep these sort of nuisances away. Losing one customer is fine, there is more than enough people coming through my doors to not have me even bother wanting to make any exceptions.