Untitled Part 15

Christopher and I both worked at a wedding venue. A medium size place capable of hosting events with up to 200 people. He started working there a year before I did, and helped get me a job. Before guest arrival we both set up tables and chairs. During dinner, I primarily washed dishes and He primarily served tables, overall not a bad gig.

The couple getting married that day came to the venue several hours early to figure out some final plans. Things like how centerpieces and photos decorated tables, or if reserved seats were labeled with the correct names. Several small disagreements occurred. The largest of these minor disagreements involved whether the gift table should be placed to the right of the door or the left. Things intensified. Both bride and groom began to yell.

After the couple left the room, Christopher laughed about the argument. "There is no way these two are going to stay happily married for long." He swept some dust up.

Even though I had been present at so many weddings, I failed to understand them on a personal level. Well, I mean I think I understood the desire and joy of finding a feeling of forever with some. I guess I just lacked the confidence to put myself in their place, imagined infinity as some terrible beast stuffed full of unknowns which must be slayed to honestly speak a wedding vow.