Chapter Three

“Are you going to ask me what happened?” We were a few minutes off of school grounds, the density of buildings decreased, trees and fields started to replace it. “If you want me to.” Outside the window a soccer game was in session. A swarm of kids running, kicking, and yelling. “God Dammit man, it is exciting, trust me.” The soccer game was behind us and I turned to Christopher, “I trust you.” After that he launched right into his story.

“The clock was just about to set us free. I watched it get closer and closer and then it happened. Everybody in my class ran towards the door, myself included. But, Ms. River asked if I could stay a bit. At first I was thinking like, ‘oh shit’, did I fail our final project or something? But, I calmed down pretty quickly. I mean she used her pleasant voice. You know? The one that gets a bit sing songy. Man I wish I had a recording of that voice. Just imagine waking up to that voice. Life would never be the same. Well anyways, once everybody else was gone she closed the door. So it was just me, Ms. River, and her sing songy voice. I leaned up against the white board and was like, ‘So why did you have me stay?’ And then she uses that voice and says, ‘For this.’ And so now I am thinking ‘For this? What the hell is this?’ But man, I don’t get to think about it long because she pins my arms against the whiteboard and starts kissing me. Not just pecking either, I mean she goes at it. And well I am hormonal teenager and whatnot so I embrace it, you know? kiss her back as hard as she is kissing me. Before I know it, she is scratching my stomach. And yeah it hurts a bit, but it also feels kinda good, you know? Things just kept escalating. Who knows where things would of gone if some bloke hadn’t come in. He came with flowers and a card, but dropped them floor and started yelling. ‘Are you serious? With a kid? You cheated on me with a kid?’ I mean damn, I had no idea Mrs. River had a boyfriend, so I don’t feel too bad about it. Anyways though, this dude just kept on yelling, it was directed at Mrs River, so I dipped out of that chaos and found you.”

With the closure of the tale quiet fell back into the car. Not complete quiet, the sounds of the car hummed in the background. Noise fluxed with acceleration and deceleration.

I didn’t believe the story. Christopher made up a lot of stuff and besides it left no time for him to put the note on my locker. I didn’t address it, given enough time he usually admitted when he was kidding.

“Okay. I made that up, but I had to, you know?” The road switched to dirt. Dust kicked up around the windows and it got a bit noisier in the car. “ Not sure if I do know.” Several minutes had passed since I’d seen another car on the road. Outside the back window was a wake of floating dirt. Perhaps if I could look far enough back I would of been able to see it fall back to the ground.

“I was waiting at your locker when I saw Rick. And was like, ‘oh yeah, I am almost out of pot.’ So, I left you a note - oh damn I didn’t account for that in my story - well, anyways I went with Rick to his car to get the stuff. It took a little while. So then I am walking back towards your locker and you are sitting there looking all mopey. And I thought, ‘This is no way to start a summer.’ So, I crafted a plan to get you back on your feet, both literally and metaphorically. And since you are sitting in this car now, I think it worked.”