Chapter 11; Blood and Stone

I carefully observed Klaus as the tip of his paintbrush stroked the canvas.

It was something we had always done in the past. I would be perched at the back of the room, as I watched him paint. These were the moments where we would spend hours together. Rarely, there would be little conversation, we seemed to have a lot on mind when we would be together. Usually, I'd walk out with a smile plastered across my face, feeling happy.

However, times were different now. There was no conversation, or small smiles being exchanged. There were not any traces of happiness hidden anywhere between the two of us. There was just the feeling of betrayal and separation.

I still had the extra stake I made. If it comes down to a situation where I need it, I won't hesitate. Myself over anyone, myself over Niklaus Mikaelson. The one person I used to be able to trust and love. Now, look where we were, right back at the beginning. And I'm okay with it. It's easier for me. Love for a vampire only makes you weak and vulnerable.

''I don't know what to do with you anymore Ashley,'' Klaus said, as he dipped the paintbrush into the black paint. I narrowed my eyes at him from my position on the couch.

''Nothing, that's what you do Nik.''

Placing his paintbrush down, he turned around to give me a hard stare. ''You are blind,'' he growled before glancing away with an irritated expression. I watched him in silence as he stood deep in thought, staring at the black trees he had begun to paint. I was not even close to being blind. I know what he's like, what he cares for, and what he'll do to get what he wants. I was the opposite of being blind when it comes to Niklaus.

''I can see all the colours,'' I said, slight anger lacing my tone.

''And what's that you see?''

''That you only have love for yourself and for power, everything else around you are just pieces in your plan.''

I watched him as he reiterated my words in his mind, his expression changing with every word. If there is anyone who knew Klaus the most, it would be me. And what I knew, was that he is just a man who has no care for anyone.

''I have been fond of you since the day I laid my eyes on you. You are blind to realize that I'd never hurt you, love.''

I laughed at his confession before pushing myself off of the couch to walk over to him. Placing myself right in front of him, close enough to feel his breath against my lips, I looked into his venomous eyes. The only eyes I used to love and trust.

Oh, how easy would it be to grab my stake and plunge it into his twisted heart.

I stepped closer, our lips closer than they've ever been since I had left years ago. I glanced down at his lips, the lips I've kissed countless of times. He didn't dare move as I looked back into the eyes of my personal devil. I walked around him, tracing my finger across his chest as I moved. As he stood still, I moved closer, my body against his back. Dragging my lips softly on the back of his ears I whispered nothing but the truth.

''Oh Niklaus, You've already hurt me.''

As soon as the words left my lips, I was pushed forcefully against the closest wall. I gasped as he tightened his grip on my wrists. I searched his anger filled eyes, feeling uneasy.

''Don't make this hard, love,'' He said before releasing his firm grip on my wrists only for his hands to be tangled in my hair next. His lips crashed against mine with eagerness. Without realization, I started kissing back. A light gasp escaped my lips as he bit my bottom lip harshly. I growled as I felt my own blood trickle into his mouth. I grabbed the back of his neck, pulling him closer so I could kiss him harder.