*

Abigail Taylor
2016/8/17
Thesis on...
Which era of Rock and Roll is best?

I recently had a discussion with my best friend and closest companion, Christi (The_Theatre_LoserXD) about which era of Rock and Roll is best. Granted that this discussion was solely based on opinion, it truly made for an interesting and, what I thought, an intellectual topic for debate.

This 'argument' started off with Christi asking me how my new boyfriend and I were doing when I happened to mention that he has a good taste in music. She proceeded to ask me what he listened to and I told her that he was interested in 90s alternative Rock and Roll. She seemed confused by what I meant so I went into further detail about the genre by giving her a few examples of artists. Such artists included The Smiths and (my boyfriends personal favorite) Oasis.

She didn't know who they were so she went off on a limb and said something about 80s Rock and Roll where I jokingly replied through text, "Ewwwwww 80s rock". This is the part of the conversation where things got real.

In the beginning of our debate I was sold on the idea that 90s rock was the best compared to her 80s rock. Christi didn't like my opinion and thought I was crazy for thinking this way, but I am confident that my argument is more solid than her argument despite her love and greater knowledge of the performing arts. She asked me who would think that 90s rock is better than 80s rock, but I quickly refuted her question... So from here I will give you my full and honest opinion of what I think about 70s, 80s, and 90s Rock and Roll.

The 1970s was the birthplace of modern Rock and Roll, it was an impressionable time for much of the younger population of baby boomers during the time of the grim Vietnam War- the war itself being 'legendary'. This was a time of experimentation; psychedelics, being free-spirited and self-indulgence, but in this timeframe legends of a different sort were being born. Of these legends included those who were on the peaceful approach to the war including Jimi Hendrix, The Doors, and Led Zeppelin. Other legends sang of the presence of the war itself and its effects, such as Credence Clearwater Revival, but many were those of their own wright like the Sex Pistols and the Ramones.

The pop culture scene of the 70s was weak and many were too busy being paranoid about the world around them to care, but as such many chose to be oblivious, so with that attitude came the hippies. Without these tree huggers rock wouldn't have been what it became because they are the people who defined the era and the music in the people's ears. I guess you could say Rock and Roll was in its prime.

Now, traverse into 1980s for a change. The war is over, and things are looking up, what else goes on? Gender equality is on the rise, synthesizers are way too popular, and the infants of the 70s are turning into teens. In my eyes, the 80s was dominated by pop music where genres such as the early stages of hip-hop and rock got easily overshadowed by the glamour of Michael Jackson, Cindy Lauper, and Madonna. Don't get me wrong, Metallica and Aerosmith were popular, but it doesn't mean they were the top of their class. And you cannot base an argument about these bands just over the principle that they were popular or had a few good songs. You know who else had a few good songs? Guns and Roses. They were a two-hit-wonder and then fell off the music-making grid.

If you are like my friend Christi and try to tell me that Kiss was a good band... You're oh-so wrong. She tried to explain to me that Kiss was "the most POPULAR ROCK BAND IN HISTORY," but I strongly disagree. I couldn't even name a song by Kiss if I tried, but you can't simply put on a shit ton of face paint and call it a day. Your music has to be enjoyed by the masses and have meaning behind the lyrics. The way I see it, Kiss was a glorified boyband with no talent that scram in the ears of their listeners. And by the way, Journey is not considered rock, it's pop. End of story.

Fast forward to the 1990s where women are gaining power in the music industry, Starbucks is gaining global recognition, the Clintons are in office, I was born, and being grunge was 'the shit'. Alternative Rock and Roll was dominating the genre, but hip-hop was of greater influence during this time. A time when the slums were slummier and grungier than the baby boomers and hippies thought possible. Drug culture was thriving and gang wars were as obvious as police corruption, and the music reflected the angst of the era.

The most popular alternative rock band has to be Nirvana. A shocking name for a society in a political demographic shift- republicans switching to democrat. Republicans heavily relying on the Christian faith. It all connects, so I'm sure you could see how some conservative parents didn't take kindly to their angsty teens liking this so-called 'Nirvana', not washing their hair, and wearing Jncos with flannel. You may call them mainstream, but it is what it is. Bands such as Pearl Jam also set the stage, but the British Invasion continues with bands such as Oasis who brought a twist to the table with  a monotone sound and memorable lyrics. Call me biased because my boyfriend likes them, but they are actually good; I was skeptical at first.

To wrap things up, my position stands that 70s and 90s Rock and Roll is better than 80s rock. I understand that the 1960s was a precursor to the decades following and had major influence, but rock didn't reach popularity until the 1970s, so I started my rant there. Oh, and if you were being a little bitch and were worried about Christi and I, we're fine and laughed it off! No hate here because opinions are just like assholes, everybody's got one and I want to hear yours, so leave a comment and tell me what you think!

*Also, don't be a hoe and use my photos... That's my shit.*