The Animal Attack

7. The Animal Attack

I woke up with heavy eyes, in what seemed like a hospital room. There was someone sitting there beside my bed. When my eyes got adjusted, I saw it was Edward. It looked like he hadn't noticed I was awake. He was looking towards me but was deep in thought. His eyes were soft, looking into mine. I had no idea why but I didn't want that moment to end. It was the most peaceful I had ever felt. Even though my heart was fluttering like a hummingbird's, I felt calm. I felt whole.

My moment was interrupted by a jolt of pain in my arm. Edward quickly held my arm and steadied the i.v. His hands were still ice cold.

"So, Ms. Vincey is awake?" I heard someone say. I turned to see the man I had seen dad talking to, at the party. He checked my pulse and blood pressure. "How are you feeling, Florance?"

"I feel fine." I told him. "Can I get discharged? I don't want dad to know about this. He'd worry unnecessarily."

"Your father has already been informed, dear. He was at a conference at Port Angles. It would take at least an hour for him to get here. He'll have to sign your discharge papers. I must say I'm surprised at your rate of healing. Your wound is almost healed." He commented looking at my forehead. "Don't you have to be in school, Edward?" he addressed his son.

"I thought I'd give Flora some company till her father is here. I've already missed most of my classes." He said. I was pretty surprised at this gesture.

Apparently, Dr Cullen was not. He merely shrugged and continued his rounds.

"Can I ask you something?" Edward said after a few minutes.

"Hmm?" was all I managed to say.

"Why did you run towards the school like that?" A valid question.

"I didn't run." I clarified. "Well, it was pretty evident that you weren't going to let me go into the forest and....... it was also pretty evident that you were lying about Alice being inside the school. You have a tell, you know that?"

"A tell?" he looked surprised.

"Mm Hmm. Of course I'm not going to tell you what it is."

"Well, you can't possibly know if I have a tell or not because I wasn't lying." He said, in the same cool, confident voice he used when he was lying.

I giggled, surprising myself. Maybe I was high on the pain meds.

"How much morphine did they give me?" I inquired.

"5 mg over 2 hours." He answered.

"That's too much." I said, weakly. "Could you turn it down?"

"You've got stiches, you know." He said, but obliged.

"Did they find out what happened in the forest?" I asked, curiously. I noticed the change in his expressions at my question, before he controlled it.

"It was Emma Bronte. She was a senior. Her dead body was found mutilated in the forest. They think it was a wild animal."

I raised an eyebrow. "A wild animal? There is not a single documented beast in the forests for 50 miles which could mutilate a human body. Just gazelles and deer. I know that for sure because...."

He cut me off. "You work at the forest department, I know. You sure you don't want more morphine?" he asked. Pain must be evident on my face.

"I choose pain over a blurry mind." I simply stated.

He shrugged. "Anyway, the wild animal theory isn't mine. It's the official story."

"Have there been any other 'animal attacks' here?" I was still skeptical.

"Not here." He answered grimly, in a tone that meant they've happened somewhere.

Dad entered the room at that moment. He looked really worried. I wondered how he'd react if he ever found out about my adventures at Hogwarts.

He was going to say something, when he noticed Edward and looked at me questioningly.

"Dad, this is Edward. He ...... got me here." I introduced him, rather sheepishly.

"Oh! It's nice to meet you, Edward. Thank you for getting Flora to the hospital. You're friends, I gather?" Dad held out his hand.

Edward shook it. "Yes sir, we are."

I looked at him.

We were?