Vampires

8. Vampires

I was back at home, lying down on the bed, as dad did not let me go to the forest office. I was thinking about the gruesome death of Emma Bronte. How could they simply label it as an animal attack?

I got up and started hacking the website of the Washington Police Department. There wasn't much on this case except the autopsy report, which stated that all her organs were severely pale. The reason listed was massive blood loss. But according to the crime scene report, no blood was present on the scene. That did not just make sense.

Vampires, I thought to myself.

I had learnt about hem while preparing for my NEWTs. They were incredibly fast and strong creatures who fed on the blood of humans, killing them in the process. They were cold as ice and had eyes as red as blood. They were considered monsters even by the wizarding community. They sometimes had special powers which led some to believe that they had magical origins. However, after much research it was concluded that they were nothing but muggles who were changed by vampire venom after deaths into soulless monsters. A mass eradication was organized in the 19th century. They were considered almost extinct now.

However, their danger was so great that it was important for every wizard to know the methods of their termination, though nobody ever expects to encounter one.

I remembered Edward's indicated remark about other 'animal attacks' and after searching I found numerous cases around Port Angeles and Seattle, in the past one month. In most of the autopsy reports I found bodies drained of blood. They had to be murdered by vampires. There was no other explanation.

I thought about informing the Ministry of Magic, but with Voldemort on the loose, why would they bother about a few muggle killings? What should I do? This used to be so easy when there were four of us to brainstorm. Now it was just me, with nobody to share anything with.

....................................................................................................................................................................................

The next morning, with much effort I was able to convince dad to let me go to school. When I reached there, I couldn't stop myself from looking towards the forest and wondering about the innocent life that was lost just to quench the blood thirst of a vampire.

My thoughts were interrupted by a silver Volvo driving by in from of me. To my surprise, only Edward got out of the car.

"Where's your family?" I asked my new 'friend'.

"On a hike." He said, closing the door, using his lying voice. Really? Was he a pathological liar?

"Why didn't you go?"

"If I went, who'd pick you up when you fell down again?" he said, walking towards the school building.

I blushed. He had to bring that up again. "I'm not that clumsy, you know." I almost tripped on a step as I said that.

Edward steadied me, keeping me from falling. I noticed his cold touch again.

"Of course you aren't." he teased.

"Do you have hypothermia or something? Why are your hands always so cold?"

"It's genetic." He answered.

"As far as I know, there are no genetic causes of hypothermia."

"As far as you know." He emphasized, walking away.

I realized I had reached my classroom. Jessica cornered me as soon as I entered.

"I told you to stay away from Edward." She said.

"Excuse me?"

"He's off limits to any girl here, including you. You can't just come in here with your English accent and perfect hair, and break the rules. It doesn't matter how rich you are. Now back off, or you'll be as miserable and alone as you were in junior school."

I was still figuring out what to yell at her when Mr. Banner entered. Jessica turned and walked to her seat.

"Confundus." I said, under my breath, and she fell right on the floor.

I was so angry, I barely managed to sit through the classes. At lunch, I actually thought of skipping the rest of the day, then I thought Jessica wasn't worth it. Another strange thing was that nobody was talking about Emma's death, as if nothing happened. Maybe they didn't know about it yet.

I entered the cafeteria and speculated where to sit. I certainly wouldn't sit with Jessica and her gang, where I usually sat. I looked around and saw Edward sitting alone. I walked up to his table and sat next to him, extremely aware of Jessica's stare. Edward looked as shocked as anyone when I sat down. He didn't ask anything, though. He simply offered me his food, seeing I hadn't got anything to eat.

"I'm not hungry." I said. I was too angry to eat.

"What's wrong?" he asked.

"I'm just fed up with bullies."

"Let me guess. Jessica?"

I looked at him. "Did she bully you, too?"

He chuckled.

"She tried. She asked me out for the Spring Dance, last year. I politely refused. She said she'd make sure no one from this school ever goes out with me."

"And you didn't do anything?"

He shrugged. "She was doing me a favor."

"Not interested in dating?" I asked, a little too curious to know the answer than I should be.

"Not really. Not until recently, anyway."

What did he mean by that?

Quick, say something, I told myself.

"So, I hacked the police website, yesterday." I said casually, eating one of his fries.

"You did?" he asked, surprised.

"Mmm Hmm. And I took a look at Emma's autopsy report, and guess what? She was completely drained of blood. And all those other animal attacks you mentioned..."

"I didn't mention any animal attacks."

"Well, you said they didn't happen here, so I figured they happened somewhere. Anyway, all those bodies were also drained of blood."

He didn't say anything. He didn't even look surprised.

"Well? This doesn't seem odd to you?" I prompted.

"No." He simply stated.

"Well, if you think it can be explained by blood loss; there wasn't any at the crime scene."

"So, I suppose you have a theory?"

Yes, I almost said.

"Not yet. I just wanted to know what you thought about it."

"I think you are thinking about it way too much."

And I think you know something about it, you're not telling me.