Back To Britain

"Edward Cullen?" I asked at the hospital reception.

"Room 25, sweetie." the receptionist replied, recognizing me from my many visits to Dad when he was here.

I entered Edward's room to find him holding a book with his good arm, having difficulty turning the page.

"Serves you right, for trying to defile Mr. Vincey's daughter. " I teased him.

"Flora, please don't be cruel." he smiled back.

The reason for Edwards current situation was him using his current very human body to flee from my room in the morning after his change, performing a jump from he could easily do in his vampire body, which led to two broken bones in his left arm and leg, and a very awkward conversation with dad.

What annoyed me the most was that the conversation was entirely unnecessary. Before he was human Edward very carefully shrinked away from physical intimacy, because of his unnatural attraction to my blood and superhuman strength. Even if those two were cured, his early 20th century morals were still in place, which weren't very lenient on pre-martial sex.

"How are you?" I asked.

"I don't think I've ever been better." he said, the same thing he'd been saying for the last two days. Edward was overjoyed to be human again. I don't think he was ever suited to become a vampire, not like the other members of the Cullen family. He was obviously trying to adjust being this different from the family he'd been with so long, but despite my initial misgivings, they were quite supportive.

"I have to take some of your blood." I told him. "You need a wand to learn magic, before you start having spontaneous outbursts of magic."

"I almost forgot about that. I'm a wizard now, aren't I?" he said in wonder, offering his arm to me.

"Yup. Say, can you still read minds?"

"Not as well as before." he admitted. "But certainly much more than the last time I was human. I still can't read yours though."

"That's just Occulmency. You'll encounter it in many of the witches and wizards."

"I should probably learn it too. It might reduce the mental noise."

"Sure, I'll add it to the list."

Edward mock shuddered at the mention of the list. It contained all the magical subjects I had decided to teach him. "When can you get out of here? We might have to go to Diagon Alley to get some supplies." I asked.

"In a day or two, according to Carlisle. I'm healing at quite an accelerated rate."

Two days later Edward and I exited the floo at Leaky Cauldron. We were able to find a seedy wizard bar in Seattle that had international flu connection.

"Hey, Tom." I greeted the barman, with a smile.

"Flora. Such terrible news, my child. You have my condolences. He was such a great man." he said to me, his face fresh with tears.

"What are you talking about?" I asked him.

"You don't know?" he looked aghast. "Oh, dear. You grandfather's dead as of last night. The funeral is today at Hogwarts." he told me.

"What?" I said, my heart already denying his words. Grandad couldn't be dead. He was the strongest wizard in Britain. It was obviously some rumors started by Voldemort.

I was aware of Edward holding me trying to be comforting. "Hogwarts." I told him. He nodded and went to talk to Tom, getting some floo powder. He took me towards the floo and said the destination, "Three Broomsticks."

I was dimly aware of our walk from Hogsmaede to Hogwarts. The gates were open, which was the first sign that this might not be an elaborate hoax after all.

We reached the grounds to find a large gathering. My eyes searched for Harry. He would tell me the truth.

"Flora." said a familiar voice from behind me. I turned around to see Harry, whose face was all the answer I needed. I sobbed, unable to control myself anymore.

He grabbed me in a hug, saying that he was sorry, over and over again. It seemed that he saw grandad die too. Fate was really a bitch to Harry.

It took me several hours to calm down enough to think rationally. Harry, Ron, Hermione, Edward and me were sitting in the Room of Requirement. Harry was eyeing Edward suspiciously, which made me smile a little despite the situation.

"Tell me." I said, leaving no room for argument. What followed was the tale of Voldemort's life and his suspected horcruxes, and the mission to get one of them which ultimately resulted in grandad's death.

"What's the plan?"

"We were planning on skipping Hogwarts next year to search for them." Hermione said.

I shook my head. "We have to start now. With grandad gone, it would be very easy for Voldemort to grab power, which would make insanely difficult for us to search for the horcruxes. I think I should raid grandad's library while you three go down the chamber and get some basilisk fangs. Carefully." I added.

I looked at Edward, silently asking him if he was sure he was in. He nooded stubbornly. I sighed.