|| six ||

May 16 2016

4:00 pm

"You're not thinking he's cheating on you, are you?" Patty asks after Maine tells her that she and Phil barely talk in the past week because of him going out a lot with his lads.

Maine shook her head, "I don't know, I don't think he is, but he's just plain getting on my nerves now. It's been two months and he still hasn't found a job." She complains, they are behind the counter where they are preparing for the kids' afternoon snacks.

"Well, you need to talk to him."

She shrugs. "Trust me I tried that,"

"Well, you have to try a little harder to make it work,"

Maine feels annoyed, "Why do I have to try harder? Shouldn't he be putting an equal amount of effort to make this work too? You know what I mean?" She shakes her head in disbelief. "We've been a couple for three freaking years, you'd think its long enough for him to start proposing and we're supposed to be planning a family at this age!"

Patty gives out a chuckle, "Dear, stop stressing over it. When's the last time you had sex?"

"A month ago? I don't know but it's been a while," She continues to pour juice on small glasses, not looking up so she doesn't see who join in at the counter until the newcomer clears his throat. "Richard!" she is surprised to see him standing there in front of the counter.

"Hi. I'm here to pick up Henry and Ellie," he simply says.

"You came really early," she says, blushing and realizing that Richard has probably heard half of her conversation with Patty.

He looks better than he did that morning, more rested and clean-shaven.

"Yeah, my boss allowed me a week off to sort out everything. Came home really early and had a good few hours of sleep so I decided to pick them up early," Maine observes that he seems more happy.

"That's good to know," She says, "You've met Patty right?" She looks at her friend who has a confused look on her face. Richard nods at Patty's direction, acknoweldging her presence.

"I'll get Henry and Ellie," Patty excuses herself, smiling as she leaves the two alone.

"So, umm, what are you doing this weekend?" He asks,

Maine raises an eyebrow, he's not asking her out, is he? "Not much, why?"

"Well, I was wondering if you can help me with the kids. You know, start training me," He grins.

Maine nods, "Sure, but you seem to be doing just fine with them, I'm impressed today,"

"Thanks to you but I still need to know how to properly bath them and try to understand them,"

"Yeah, that won't be hard though,"

Patty rejoins them with Henry in tow and the sleeping Ellie in her arms. She hands the baby girl to Richard, who starts to stir but continues to sleep peacefully.

"See you this weekend?" Richard asks, Maine blushes when Patty shots her a questionning look but she nods anyway, bending down to give Henry a goodbye hug.