the high

• Dedicated to Trayvon Martin

"Beep beep" the horn blamed outside. "Damn Zack here aleady?!" a boy said in a rush as he was in a hurry he put on his shoes looked in the mirror to confirm his outfit was up to par then he would look at a picture of tray (Trayvon Martin) and said 'look out for me man" he touched the picture of his lost friends and walked out of the room. As he walked into his father's room to tell him that he was leaving. "Nigga did you knock?!" he said in surprise as he watched his son barge into the room without even announcing himself. "No sir" his son dragged his voice turning himself around slowly annoyed by the fact he had to walk all the way out and wait for his fathers approval. So he walked out and knocked waiting his father's acknowledgment for him to come in "Come in boy" his father said to his son. He walked back in to the room he looked at his father who demanded respect be given to him at all times. Then at his mother who was just laughing at her son facial expression. "Dad can I go now please" James pleaded with his father eager to get out of the door. "Yeah you can go but listen here boy you better not be out there doing anything you have no business doing you hear me If I catch you drunk or doped up imma whoop yo ass do you understand?" His father said in a strict tone waiting on an answer. "Yeah I understand" James answered "yeah?!" his father looked puzzled repeating his sons answer. His mom started chuckling at both her son and husband "Yes sir I understand " James suddenly correcting himself. "That's better now you can leave & don't be out all night church tomorrow and first day of school on Monday be back at one" his father said.

James quickly ran out the door  running up to and old school Buick all black with a gold trim sitting on some gold Dayton's with the white wall rims, tints were dark so no one could even see in it. He opened the passenger door and hopped in the car to see his cousin Zack a tall, skinny, funny looking dude which James had been around since birth almost a year older than his cousin. He was obsessed with the gangster life he wanted the money, cars, dope, and the hoes that came with it. The best thing he can offer was loyalty to his people though. "Nigga why it take you so long to do everything" Zack exaggerated "Man if you don't shut up Twan ass not even here yet so why you sweating me man?" James asked "Cause I can bitch stop whining like a lil hoe" Zack said punching him on the shoulder James scolded him "What you gone do huh? Hit me back?" Zack laughed messing with him. The back door open to the car "Bae imma call you right back" the person getting in said. It was Twan a short boy with a ross (full beard) at 16 years old him and James had been cool since they were five living right across the street from each other. They were like brothers when they first met each other "Twan get off the phone man you tripping man wassup with you" Zack told him "tell her you with ya boys man" "give me five minutes man she spazzin" Twan explained "Give me that shit" James grabbed Twans phone and hung it up. "Bra forreal" Twan looked at him as if he was stupid. "Bruh are you fucking serious!" Twan exclaimed "Yes I'm serious she will be alright with you for one night. We gonna turn up anyway and we need you live in affect" James told him. "Y'all stay on the phone all day shit" "Are we ready" Zack interrupted cranking the car up. He pulled off quick and in a hurry "I'm not gonna tell you how to drive but  you better slow this bitch down if you don't won't no ticket" James snapped "Nigga fuck the police" Zack replied on some ice cube shit. "let me put on my seat belt real quick"Twan said "look man my law teacher put me up on game I'm serious cops look at your car heavy with these rims and dark ass tints. You riding up the street like you looking for somebody to mess with us. And don't be quoting shit like you NWA man get out of here." James told him."Wow! A nigga done did a two years of law and now he know some shit. Nigga you ain't even in law school yet! Your still in high school talking like you got a degree or some shit." Zack replied sounding like a smart ass.

Soon as he turned corner sirens went off with the lights flashing "Told ya bitch! Now we gonna be late for the party" James said stressed. "Shit" Zack muttered as he pulled the car on the side off the road swallowing a small bag in his mouth. Then reached in a glove compartment grabbing some spray called "Scent Bomb" which if you didn't know takes out the smell of anything and making your car smell like its fresh of the lot. He started to spray everything. The officer came to the window and knocked on it. Zack threw the spray in the backseat and proceeded to roll down the window. "License and registration "he asked for a tall white man with his black shades which you couldn't even tell who he looked at. Zack handed him his stuff not trying to make eye contact. "What's your problem boy you don't know how to be respectful" The officer snatched the paperwork from him and looked at him with an attitude. "Nothing officer I was just handing you my paperwork" Zack responded calmly. He then drew his attention towards James as he sat in the passenger seat looking straight ahead. "You over there what the fuck is your problem boy?!" He started to get aggressive. "Nothing officer" James responded bluntly.  "Step out the car with your hands up" he directed James while putting his hand on his gun which sat in his holster. "Why he stepping out the car man he ain't do nothing!" Zack responded. "Shut the fuck up boy now all of you get out the fucking car!" He yelled drawing his gun on at them. "Woah woah we getting out everyone just chill" twan said putting his hands up. We all got out the car with our hands up. He made the boys look the other way as he slammed each one onto the ground with his gun still drawn on us. He checked their pockets for anything and the officer walked off back to his car with the identification he found. As James lay there on the concrete he imagined himself hopeless with this bad gut feeling in stomach felt like he'd inhaled a pack Newports. I turned my head over to Zack "Please don't tell me is dope in that car man" James asked in denial "Man just that one bag now chill" Zack told him. "Chill?! Man fuck chill you riding dumb with dope in yo car are you serious man? Then you got this officer harassing us and shit" James pissed. The officer came back saying "Get up!" as if he were a drill sergeant not noticing the tension between them "I'm letting you off with a warning and slow down you hear. You need to get those tints on those windows and that attitude of you and your boys fixed it'll get you " "Yes sir officer I understand he responded " Zack said to the officer handed him his license and registration and walked to his car. All of them walked back to the car as soon as they got in a argument pursued between Zack and James.  "Man we all could've went to jail, gotten beat up, or killed for your dumb ass you know that right?." James argued."Well didn't right? OK then" Zack fired back. "Man we could've you acting all reckless dumb ass man don't you realize Tray was in the same situation and look where he at now. You wanna end up there too?! " James complained. "Man what you trying to say my mans was wrong for walking  home." Zack shot back. "No nigga what I'm saying is they don't care if you doing the right or wrong thing. We all a bunch of live targets waiting to be shot at. Look around man we got people we know getting killed like animals based off of a skin color." James stated. "....Man I hate when yo smart ass is right" Zack said exhaling. Starting back up the car we continued on our way to the party.