Chapter 3

I hopped from tree to tree, heading for the clearing once again. It was my favorite spot in the whole forest. My favorite flowers grew there in a large patch. I loved to lay in them and encase myself in their sweet scent as I watched clouds pass by. It came into view, making me smile. I came to last line of trees, and leaped off the branch and into the grass. The sun warmed my already tanned skin. I sighed happily and sat on my knees, taking a whiff of the flowers. I carefully plucked one from the ground, and held it up to my face. Water droplets from the early morning dew still cling to its dark blue petals. I gently placed it behind my ear, decorating my hair with the lovely thing. It made me feel fragile yet beautiful, like a snowflake. Then, just like yesterday, the sounds of voices came into earshot. I looked up to see that girl again, this time with a boy I didn't recognize from before. I furrowed my eyebrows and stood up. The girl noticed me, and pointed to me, whispering to the boy. He looked up from something in his hand, his eyes widened and he ran up to me. I shied away from him, fearful for my safety. He didn't seem to notice, and stalked around me, inspecting me. I gave him a good long look. He was tall, with shaggy brown hair and dark brown eyes. A strange item laid on his nose, covering his eyes with a clear substance. I looked to the girl.

"Excuse me, I never got your name." I said to her.

She rolled her eyes.

"Bethany." She said curtly.

I nodded my head in greeting.

"It's a pleasure to meet you." I said politely.

"Whatever." She said, flipping her hair.

The boy came back around so he was in front of me.
He held up something in his hand, and began running another item against it, leaving markings on it.

"What's that?" I asked, pointing at it.

The boys looked up at me and pressed it to his chest. I gave him a confused look. Bethany shook her head and clapped her hands.

"Okay I brought you to the freak show. Now can we go home?" She asked, sounding annoyed.

He turned to her, and smiled.

"You can, I'll met you at your house later." He said.

I cocked my head at the strange word 'house'. Bethany grunted in acknowledgement and walked off. After a few moments the boy turned back to me.

"Sorry about that." He said.

I blinked at him.

"I-Its okay." I said quietly.

"I'm Sam." He said.

I nodded.

"What a peculiar name." I said, smiling innocently at him.

He raised an eyebrow at me.

"What's your name?" He asked.

"Artesia." I said proudly.

He nodded and bit his lip. He began to make markings in the thing again.

"What is that?" I asked again.

He looked up at me, and held the book close to him.

"It's my notebook. You know, for like taking notes and stuff." He said.

I shook my head, unable to understand his words. He bit his lip in thought.

"Why are you here in the woods?" He asked suddenly.

"I've always lived in the woods." I said, shrugging.

"How old are you?" He asked.

"About 400 years old" I said, remembering Artemus telling me that.