Chapter 9

My breathing. I had grown accustomed to it during the hours that I had been lost in a black void known as sleep. Nothing else could be heard, for a while at least.

After what seemed like days, it finally began to subside and was replaced quickly by the sound of shuffling feet and running water. I coughed, ridding my throats of the itchy feeling. A pounding pain had taken refuge in my temples and eyes, and my body felt heavy like rock. Ever so slowly my eyes opened, thankfully being greeted by a dimly lit stone room. My memory was fuzzy and unreliable. My eyes adjusted to the light and I opened them all the way. I carefully turned my head so it rested on its side. I was in Megara's cave, laying on stone outcrop from the left wall.

She was there, hunched over the little pool of water. She mumbled to herself, to quietly to catch her words.

I went to sit up when images flashed through my mind. Me being carried through the tunnel, in the glowing cave, gaining those markings, running out, being pulled back in. I saw myself look back, my eyes glowing white, setting myself free and meeting that creature. I was sucked back into reality with a gasp and yelp. I slammed myself back onto the rock, smacking the back of my head against it. My breathing was ragged and heavy. The pain in my head had increased immensely.

I groaned and went to grab my head, only to gasp as I saw the markings still there. They didn't glow however, instead they were just a deep blue on my skin. I now noticed I was still in the blue dress, except the sleeves had been severed and left my arms bare.

"Artesia?" I heard a voice from my left say.

I turned my head quickly to see Megara staring at me worriedly. I weakly pushed myself up and rolled onto the floor. I crawled to my feet and moved towards the door, only to fall to my knees as my legs gave out. Sweat accumulated on my forehead and arms. I felt a hand on my shoulder and scooted away.

"Artesia, its okay you're alright! You need to rest." She assured.

I placed a hand on my knee, and attempted to stand. Megara was instantly at my side, trying to help.

"No! I-I don't need help." I hissed, slowly getting up myself.

I stumbled to the archway, placing my hands on the frame to support myself. When I gained enough energy, I pushed myself away from Megara's cave and made a beeline for mine. I stumbled to the opening, and fell to my knees again.

I shut my eyes tight, and when I opened them again, I wasn't in the cave anymore. I was in the black void again. My body felt like ice, as if one small movement could shatter me. A gentle, yellowish glow formed around me. My skin melted into warmth and I floated up. I couldn't move still. I felt a strong beating in my chest, regaining control of my neck and head, I looked down. A small glowing dot had taken place on my chest. It beat like my heart. Then, in a big white flash, it burst, sending lines of fire through every nerve and vein. I tried to scream but the only thing I could do was cry silently. The light traveled through my veins, creating glowing lines down my arms and legs and torso.

Then, it stopped suddenly. I fell and landed on the ground with a thump. I stayed frozen for a few moments, the sounds of the cave came back and I pushed myself to my knees. I felt something on my shoulder and I panicked.

"Don't touch me!" I yelled, whipping around an accidentally blasting fire from my hands.

Artemus stood in front of me, worry in his eyes.

"Artesia? What did you just do?" He asked worriedly.

I was suddenly at a loss of breath, as if I had just ran a thousand miles and finally took a break. I grunted slightly as I forced myself to my feet and ran out. I sprinted through the entrance tunnel and forced myself through the branches. I felt the many thorns snag my hair and face.

Exploding through, I crashed to my knees, blood dripping from my lip. I shook my head roughly and raced into the forest, hoping to lose myself briefly in the tall trees. Rain started to fall and I wheezed as I ran out of stamina. I stumbled, keeping myself up and running by pushing my hands off the ground, then tripped and fell. I breathed heavily, slowly crawling to a sitting position.

I felt a tear slide down my cheek as frustration overwhelmed me. A stick snapped behind me, causing me to whip around and scoot backwards. It was Erasmus, one of the eldest yigons of our tribe.

"It's alright, I'm only here to talk." He said, sitting down in front of me.

Swallowing hard, I straightened up, bowing my head respectfully. His stare bored into me, his dark green eyes searching mine.

"You seem upset." He said, curling a blade of grass between his fingers.

I nodded, chewing my lip uncomfortably.

"I am confused..... and scared." I admitted.

"What's wrong?" He asked.

I tilted my head up to look at him. I sighed shakily.

"Just.... strange things have been happening and I want answers but.... I don't know how to ask." I explained, becoming more and more disappointed in myself.

Erasmus chewed the inside of his cheek for a moment, deep in thought. Then, his eyes lit up with an idea.

"If you need answers, why don't you try the Échase Pétra." He suggested.

I looked at him for a moment, thinking about it. I nodded my head slightly.

"I guess I don't have any other options." I stated.

He nodded, and shakily stood up, his stiff joints making it difficult. I followed his actions.

"Be careful." He said, placing his fist on his open palm and bowing.

"I will. If I'm not back at the cave by tomorrow at sundown, send someone to look for me." I commanded.

Erasmus nodded and waddled off into the forest. Turning away, I looked up to the sky. Red and orange painted it vibrantly, and I could just barely see the beginnings of stars in the sky. The mountains towered behind the trees, a good distance away. Taking a deep breath, started for them.