Chapter 5: "London Heart" by Tenterhook

The girl. She was to stay here. 

Liam greatly disapproved of her stay. She was a burden. A Stranger. Trouble. A Complete Mystery. Liam didn't completely believe her story about running away. Was the red, feathered dress they'd found her in supposed to be her wedding dress? Everything about her situation was suspicious and worst of all, there were ridiculous rumors about her origin. 

Liam walked down the corridors to Asa's medical room. The East Wing was finished last night and the King demanded for Liam to take the girl. Liam would have rather poked his eye out.

He knocked on the door and saw the girl in new clothes. She was wearing a white, laced dress and red roses in her hair. Liam recognized the dress. It was his mothers. 

As much as he didn't want to admit it, she looked beautiful. The red roses popped against her black hair and brought out the gray in her eyes. Her figure stuck to the clothe. 

Liam stood straighter but tried to show no emotion or reaction. "Your room is ready." He said. 

She looked at Asa. Asa nodded and she walked toward Liam. He held is breathe. "Show me the way." she said. Liam nodded.

Just before they walked out the door Asa quickly said, "I will see you soon Rowen."

Rowen. 

That was her name. A very strange, usual name, but it suited her. 

Liam brought her to the entrance of the East Wing. There was a double wooden door that stood from the ceiling to the floor with intricate designs carved. Liam used the golden handles to push open the door. He took a deep breathe and witnessed what seemed a travel back in time. He hadn't been in the East Wing since his mother died.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Rowen was in awe at what she saw. The prince, Liam, opened the doors to show a gorgeous, gold hallway. She moved past him and saw that on the left were a line of tall windows and on the right were paintings. The hallway was filled with dust but the light shinning from the windows distracted her. Rowen walked to windows and saw the sun, closed her eyes, and felt the heat touch her skin. Is this what it felt like to be human? 

When she opened her eyes she saw a glimpse of her forest, her home. Then she remembered that she wanted to be there, not here. Not be a human. She wanted to be free, have her wings, and be able to fly again. Oh she would've done anything to fly again. 

Rowen came back to reality when Liam came next to her. 

"It's a beautiful view." He said. 

Rowen nodded. "Yes. It's the most beautiful in the world." 

Rowen turned to Liam to see him look away from her. "We should get to your room." he said uncomfortably. Rowen didn't want to go just yet. She wanted to explore the wing and see what else it hid. She turned to the other side at the paintings and marveled at their beauty. 

"These are amazing!" she exclaimed. Liam looked intrigued at her interest and joined her. 

"Yes, they are." he said quietly, almost as a whisper. 

Rowen looked at one painting of the forest during fall. The trees' leaves were different colors of bright reds, oranges, and yellows. She gazed at the paints' tough texture and touched the canvas. "Who painted these?" she asked. 

Liam took a deep breathe. "I did." Rowen froze and slowly turned to face him. She looked into his dark, brown eyes. 

"Really?"

Liam looked straight at her with the same powerful gaze and replied, "Yes. I used to love painting as a boy. It calmed me. Made me happy."

"Why did you stop?"

Liam took another deep breathe and looked away, "Because my mother died, after she had Aiden." 

Rowen's heart dropped. "I'm so sorry."

"It's all right, it was a long time ago." Liam looked back at her and his eyes were watery.

Rowen gave him a small smile and said, "Well, these are amazing, your mother must have been so proud."

This made Liam smile. "It did. It was our special thing that we did together." 

There was a small, awkward pause before Rowen spoke, "Is this where she stayed? Your mother?"

Liam nodded. "Yes, this was her wing. And actually you're wearing her dress." He laughed. Rowen had never seen him smile, but he had a beautiful smile. 

"Oh I'm so sorry I didn't realize it was hers." Rowen started fidgeting with the dress.

Liam came closer and took her hands away laughing, "No it's okay, you don't have to feel bad." When he realized he was holding her hands and stepped back and let go. "It looks beautiful on you."

Rowen looked down, embarrassed. "Can I see the room?"

Liam nodded and returned to his stern look. "Of course." 

They walked to the end of the hall to another set of wooden doors. Rowen looked to her right and saw another small door. 

As she moved closer to it she asked, "What's this door?" 

Liam grabbed her arm before she could even touch the door and pulled her back. His face was inches away from hers and he was mad. He spoke with rage but it was whispered for only her to hear. "Don't go to that room. EVER." 

Rowen was frightened and in utter shock. His outbreak took her by surprise. 

He let her arm go and walked away without saying another word.