Chapter 3: "Crown" by As Elephants Are

It was a dream. It had to be. What else could explain this. Rowen's body shivering, aching in pain. She just wanted it to stop. Just let go and no more pain. But someone's voice kept her awake. He was panicking. She tried opening her eyes but they were heavy. All she saw was flashes of light. Her head was bounding like it was going to burst and she fell asleep again. This time when she woke up, it was in her forest. But this version was even more beautiful. The air was fresh and smelled of pine. It was also much brighter and as she looked up to see the blue sky, all she saw was white. What was this place is all that Rowen could think about. Then all of a sudden she heard that voice again and it was black.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Aiden carefully studied the girl. She looked so peaceful sleeping. Aiden slowly raised his hand to move the stray hair that had fallen on her face. 

Just as he was about to touch her, her gray eyes opened. Aiden jumped back and the girl froze. Half her body was up as she looked around. She was frantically moving muttering to herself. When she caught herself speaking she froze. The girl stayed frozen for a few minutes before looking at her body. A breath escaped her mouth as she looked at her hands and touched her arms, face, and legs. Her face read confusion and utter terror. She spent a while looking at her legs and feet. She stopped touching her body and started breathing hard. Then she turned to Aiden and froze again. She scrambled to the backboard of the bed and whimpered. 

Aiden put his hands up in defense and spoke, "It's okay. I'm not going to hurt you. You're safe now, don't worry." He smiled at the girl. She swallowed and was about to speak when the healer interrupted and came in. 

The healer looked up, saw that the girl was awake, and smiled. "Ah, so the mystery girl awakes." His accent was thick and clipped. The girl didn't reply. "Do you know where you are deary?" After a minute she shook her head. "You're in the castle. You were shot, but your okay now. You see this man?" the healer pointed to Aiden, "He saved your life...but then again, it's because of him you were even shot." The healer gave a small smile after that comment and Aiden gave the healer a look. But the healer never left his eyes off of her. Aiden returned to the mystery girl, and felt a feeling of peace. He wasn't quite sure that was the word to describe it, but looking into her grey eyes, relaxed him. However, his thoughts were interrupted by the header who asked Aiden to leave. 

"But why?" Aiden asked. 

"Because I want to talk to her... alone. She's probably scared of you Aiden. Just wait outside and I'll call you back in, alright?" Aiden bit his cheek and nodded. 

He left the mystery girl, but she didn't leave his thoughts. 

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Rowen was trying to make sense of this horrible nightmare, while trying to control the pain she was feeling. Her head was pounding, she felt sick in this body, and there was a sharp pain in her arm. In addition, her mind was racing with thoughts; she was somehow human, in the castle. There were humans everywhere. She'd barely seen a human and she was one. Her mind couldn't wrap around the idea. How did this happen? Why did this happen? Her body was shaking. She was so scared; she didn't want this, she wanted her old life as a bird.

The whole thing was confusing. They kept telling her that she was shot and that a man found her and brought her here. But all she wanted to know is when she was going to wake up. 

The man that was there kept looking at her with his bright green eyes. He had finally left when the old man came in. The old man put down the bottles he was holding and came closer to her. "How are you feeling mystery girl?" Rowen tried to chirp but instead a pitched 'Ah' came out. She panicked and closed her mouth. The man replied, "As I thought. You were from the forest." Rowen's eyes went big and she nodded her head. The old man took a breath and looked at her again, "I didn't think that this would ever happen again." He reached out and touched her hand to hold it. His hand was fragile and wrinkled. "My dear... you were shot. And you died." Rowen looked at him confused. He continued, "Just as the curse says, when you die... you turn human." Rowen let go of hand in rage. She was frantically shaking her head. "I'm sorry it's true. The curse is real and it turned you human... forever." Tears started running down Rowen's cheeks but she still wouldn't believe it. "I know you probably don't believe me but it is true. It happened to me." Rowen looked up at him. "My dear, I was a beautiful, light brown deer. And I had these tall, majestic antlers. But one day I was killed by a human and that's when I found out that the curse was real. I have been living at the castle ever since." He wiped a tear from his eye and continued, "Now you must listen to me very carefully, there are people in this castle who believe in the curse. You must show that you have always been a human. It will take you a while to walk good but I can just say you are weak from the injury but you must talk." Rowen looked at him and stopped crying. He nodded to her. She closed her eyes and tried to speak. "Just try to say your name my dear." He said. 

"Rah- rah." she spoke. Her voice was deep and husky.

"Good, try more." He insisted. 

"Roe." She pushed for sound even more. "Rah- Row- Rowen. Rowen." She cleared her throat. "I. Am. Rowen." The tone of her voice was low and dark. 

"Very good. Try to say some more, maybe a little faster."

"I am Rowen. And I want to go home."