Mind Games: Chapter 7

CHAPTER 7

     I kept on staring on the piece of paper in my hand. How could this happen? Are they back? The people who killed my mother? But, what do they want from me?

     I started running. After they killed my mother I was sat free. My brother fetched me in the airport. I asked him how did he got me out. He said that they ransomed me. And now they’re coming back for me?

     But why?

     I narrowed my eyebrows. Why now? After all these years, why now? Surely, they could have killed me after they killed my mother right? But they didn’t. This is more confusing than Calculus!

     They should’ve killed me! I saw it. The guy in the tux pointed the gun at me. I was just waiting for my head to explode, but it didn’t. The next thing I knew, I was in the airport with my brother.

     I crumpled the paper. Should I tell Carol? NO! I need to talk to my brother.

    I found myself staring at the Cafe. I walked in. My mom and I used to come here every day when she was still alive. This used to be our favourite place.

    But whenever I come here, I just feel so empty. I feel so alone.

    I ran my hand to my messy hair. I hate over thinking stuffs. It makes me feel so...old.

    I ordered a cup of cappuccino and two slices of strawberry cake. These should make me feel better. My stomach started to growl and I realized I didn’t take my lunch. Great, I’m skipping meals now.

    The food was overwhelming as usual. I inhale my cappuccino and drank it slowly.

   “Hey there girl friend!” I almost spit my cappuccino to the girl now sitting across from me. Kate.

   “Can you please stop that?!” I yelled.

   “Stop what?” She asked innocently.

   “Scaring me to death!”

   She ran her hands to her hair, smoothing them. “Do I look scary?”

   “No.. It’s just. Ugh! Forget it.” I sighed.

    I watched her curiously as she silently chew her cupcakes, ignoring me. Why the hell is she here anyway? I never saw her here, or I just didn’t noticed her before.

     “Is there something wrong with my face?” She asked, breaking the silence.

     “Why are you here?”

     “Uhm, obviously I’m eating?”

     I glared at her. Of course I know that. Ugh, just forget it. I continued sipping my cappuccino when Kate started to talk about stuffs about school.

     I lost track of what she’s saying basically because I wasn’t that interested. I just attacked my cake like there’s no tomorrow. I know it’s unlady like, but who cares! It’s delicious.

     I used to be alone and no one really bothers me. But then, Kate came along and I kinda feel that this will be different. That I can fit in and have a normal life. You know, with ‘normal’ friends.

    Ah of course you might be thinking about the twins that I’ve mention earlier right? They were my friends, alright. But I tell you, they are not normal.

     One time when I was reading, they teased me that I was a book worm and started to force-feed me with a real live worm! C’mon, what kind of ‘normal’ people will force a defenceless girl to eat a live worm!