Chapter 3 - Runaway Thief -

"Everyone, I would like your attention please!" Ms. April stood at her desk, smiling brightly like she normally did. For once, Alice and Keith weren't passing notes. Keith wasn't in the classroom yet. Rhythmi and Alice shared a look and Alice mouthed "Where's Keith?"

"Probably overslept or something," Rhythmi mouthed back, "Maybe he missed his nap in the Library...?"

Alice chuckled softly, then turned to face Ms. April.

"You all remember the Mantine Crawford went to rescue during our Outdoor Class? The Ranger Union took it in and nursed it back to health."

"Yay!" The students cheered.

"This morning, the Mantine was safely returned to the sea."

'That's good...' Alice thought, smiling, 'Pokémon should feel safe in this world...'

"Well, now that we're all feeling good about that news, lets start our lesson! Today, as scheduled, the topic is teamwork between Rangers and Operators. If there isn't any trust between them, it's disastrous. Even the simplest of Missions could become impossible to manage."

'...Just like a Trainer and its Pokémon...' Alice thought, 'Without a great connection, trust, and love, battles, contests... Anything, really, is impossible...'

"Rangers go where there are no roads to guide them. The Operators have to light the way for their Rangers where no roads exist. The Operators support the Ranger such as recharging their styler and providing information and advice. Does anyone know what it's called when a Ranger and Operator use the communication system?"

"Oh! Yes!" Rhythmi replied, "It's called voicemail!"

"Correct! However the School Stylers do not have the voicemail feature. But," Ms. April took out two official Ranger Stylers, "I have two Stylers with the voicemail feature turned on! Thanks to Principal Lamont being at the Ranger Union on business, he was able to borrow them for Themis lesson. We'll be using them to demonstrate the field operations of rangers. Let's start with Rhythmi as the Operator and Keith as the Ranger."

"Um... Ms. April?" Alice called, "Keith isn't here yet..."

"Oh, that's why it was so quiet..." Ms. April laughed, "But... I wonder if he overslept? That isn't like him though... Well, Alice, do you mind being he Ranger?"

"Sure."

Ms. April handed the two girls their Stylers.

"Wow..." Rhythmi said in awe, "I can communicate with you using this!"

Alice faced her friend, laughing softly.

"Hello! Can you hear me?" Rhythmi called into the styler.

"Rhyth... You're five feet away from me..." Alice laughed, "I can hear you just fine without the Stylers."

"Oh... Then let's get further away from each other and try again."

"Okay."

Alice got up from her desk and headed straight for the door-

SLAM!

The classroom door flung open, just barely missing Alice.

"No running in the classrooms either, Carter!" Mr. Kincaid's voice was heard as he stepped into the classroom.

"Watch where you're going so you don't almost kill students..." Alice muttered.

"Mr. Kincaid, is there a problem?" Ms. April asked.

"Ms. April, I apologize for disrupting your class, but I would like to speak with Keith."

"Oh... Well, you see, Keith is running a little late today. It's not like him, but..."