Chapter 44

2387 had came and went. The year was 2388. Our scene made way into the nursing home from above in space. Through the atmosphere, into a city that had tall light gray buildings some that were not gray but different shades, dodging flying cars that flew side ways,then our perspective flew down to the surface. There were several residents of Aura visiting the zoo that was rather more improved than the ones from the 21st century. They were holoprograms, technically, using holoemitters to make them appear real and seem utterly realistic to the viewers. The perspective goes through the forest past the unusual animals of the planet, the light blue flowers, the cats hunting in the water with their paws using it in a way that only insects would to draw the fish attention, then up a hill and into a rather cozy and comfy building that had friendly colors. There were parked air cars in the parking lot.

Our scene went into Sweet Hill Nursing Home.

Everyone was clearing the room heading to the large turbo lift except for McCoy and Jim. Spock was among the crowd still using the cane. Trelane was right beside Evans babbling about a theory why the poor man was going through hell. First, he had been unable to walk properly for three days. Second, he developed torrets syndrome. Third, he could not move his fingers without being in pain. Forth,his vision needed to be cleared again after two weeks. And fifth, he was starting to walk slower. He has been starting to get terrible vision that effected his eyesight for the distance.

"Jim." McCoy went over to the resting captain who was set alongside the chair. "Are you comin' for lunch or not?" He came to the man's side his eyes resting on the man's face noticing they were closed. McCoy, puzzled, checked for a pulse. "Damn it, man, don't scare like that." He heard a mew. "Hello, Grimm, I am busy right now can you see that---" He turned his head in the direction of Jim's lap to see the black cat curled up. McCoy was horrified. "GRIMM!"

McCoy snatched the cat off Jim's lap then placed the cat on the couch then he wheeled Jim out of the room directly down the hall past the group toward Sick Bay. McCoy ran like his life depended on it. He didn't feel pain in his legs. What he felt was adrenaline running through his body. JIM. JIM. JIIM. JIM. JIM. JIM. JIM. JIM. JIM. JIM! That was the only thought racing in his head. Not now, it can be happening. NOT NOW! He came in to see Koloth being treated for a forearm injury. The doors closed behind McCoy.

"Doctor Cameron!"

Cameron shifted toward McCoy's direction.

"McCoy, what is wrong?" Cameron asked.

"Jim's dyin'." McCoy said, his voice cracking.

"Nurse Young," Cameron said. "Please tend to McCoy."

Young looked up from her padd, her brown eyes aimed in the direction of the doctor, staring through the soul of the doctor. At least that is how it felt for McCoy. He was not a doctor but a resident. McCoy pushed forward the levitating chair over to the woman. She took out a tricorder then scanned Jim. Her hands were trembling when she finished it. McCoy's eyes were steadied on Young. Young was staring at the screen then she looked up toward McCoy with her mouth in a complete 'o'. McCoy had one hand on the back rest of the chair. That look on her face said it all.

"Bones," Young said. "Please go to lunch. We need to do some tests."

"Jim is never goin' to wake up," McCoy said. "Isn't he?"

"He will," Young said. "It will be fine," She had one hand on the side of his shoulder. "It is only a minor problem. We can fix it."

"Grimm was on his lap." The words fell out of his mouth.

"Please, go." Young said.

McCoy briefly closed his eyes feeling anger. Anger at life in general. Time was so short. Life was unfair. Jim had been lucid for five months and now he is going to be snatched away? Just like that? It was not fair? His baby blue eyes opened back toward the dark woman. She had a nice but short hair style. Her hair complimented her personality and character. Young had a trusting appeal to her. She let go of McCoy's shoulder. McCoy let go of the arm rest. He was trembling. He was engulfed in what felt a sea heading down his head toward his heart. It was like he was sinking in the water into the darkness free falling unable to move and save himself.

"Nurse, what is wrong with Captain Kirk?" Koloth asked, sounding concerned.

"Mister Koloth, go to lunch." Cameron said,putting down the dermal regenerator. McCoy had exited the room. "It is none of your concern."

"Yes, it is." Koloth said. "Check his medical file."

"Mister Koloth." Cameron said.

"I will go." Koloth exited Sick Bay with his arm good as new.