Fourteen

I woke up to sunshine streaming through my windows, feeling renewed for the first time in what felt like forever. I hadn't even noticed how tired I was last night, once I actually crawled into my bed. I sat up to check the time.

   It was 10:16. I rubbed my eyes in an attempt to wake myself faster as I checked my phone. Max had called as promised, half an hour later. Once I knew he was home safe, I went to sleep. I forgot to charge my phone though, so the battery was low. I reached beside the bed for the charger and plugged it in. Getting up, and having forgotten taking off my pants, I immediately saw my jeans on the floor. I still had the same shirt on and decided on a shower before confronting my family. The first thing on my agenda was to talk to Grandma.

   A hot shower and a new bandage later, I was downstairs, greeted with only a note.

        Kyle-

   Went out to run errands and pick up dinner. Grandma is home. We'll be home around 2.

           xo,
        Mom & Dad

   I poured a bowl of cereal and ran to the back porch. I saw Grandma through the glass doors. I hastily pulled one open, balancing my cereal hazardously in the other hand.

   “I need to talk to you!” I exclaimed. She seemed startled by my abrupt greeting. There was a twinkle in her eyes.

   “I know, Kyle. Sit down.” She was shuffling her deck of cards that we usually used to play Wicca. She kept staring at me, a small smile on her face.

   “So how was your night?” She prompted. I spooned Fruit Loops into my mouth, chewing quickly. I nearly choked.

   “It was fun. Jake got really tired by ten, so he and Nyx decided to go home early. Max and I cleaned up after they left, then we hung around for a bit.” That's when I remembered, letting my spoon sink into the colorful rings.

   “I assume he is what you want to talk about?” She said matter of factly, smiling at me again.

   “No. Well, yes, sort of. It's something along those lines.” I returned to eating my cereal. Patiently, she watched me.

   “I've been waiting here for you. I was wondering when you would wake up,” Her eyes glittered with amusement. I actually did choked this time.

   “Can you tell me now? What you hadn't when Nyx was with us.” I watched her earnestly. My heart quickened its pace in my chest, ready to burst in anticipation at any second.

   “I can. I believe it's time,” she started. I placed my bowl on the table, ready.

   “For years magic has always illuded others. No one really understood it. After a few accounts, many believed it was ‘witchcraft,’ where one would summon demons and kill firstborns.” Her eyes were dark. Pollen danced in the sunbeams around us.

   “Of course, there were few who did try to summon powerful beings, and they were executed quickly. The others, however, believed in the power of nature.”

   “Go on." Chills were running up my spine. I had to rub my arms to stop the goosebumps in their tracks.

   “Magic has survived in many generations of families. A long time ago, there wasn't one family that you couldn't trace a witch or warlock back to. Though much has changed since those dark times,” she looked at me then.

   “Like the Salem Witch Trials,” I breathed. She nodded.

   “What a shame that was. So many young girls burned. So much potential lost.”