Prologue

Lauren's POV:

September 12, 2011

four years ago...

I'm laying there on the cold bloody wooden floor of my bedroom. I already witnessed how he dragged my parents into my room. My mother by her hair and father by his neck, they were screaming in pain but he just chuckled. He threw them on the floor next to my bed. Grabbing me by my left arm, the blond man dragged me out of my bedsheets and slammed me on the floor right next to them. He was so forceful that he broke my femur bone and probably a few of my ribs in the progress.

Ignoring the stabbing pain in my side I crawled over to my crying mother, my grey sweatpants were soaking up the blood that poured from the open fracture of my leg. I felt the hot tears rushing down my pale cheeks. My Dad stood up in front of us trying to protect us even though it was pointless. This creature was way too strong to be one of the human kind.

He looked at us and laughed "What for a small loving family, I am so happy to be the one to destroy your idyll but I'll go slow and steady. You know you should never rush such a beautiful opportunity like this." He grabbed dad by his dark hair and smashed his fangs deep into his neck. The blood streamed down his tanned throat and the room was filled with our screams. I couldn't keep my eyes off my father, how his body lost its color and the life vanished with every drop that left his body. His pale bloodless corpse fell down to the floor and his empty eyes stared wide openly back at me the eyes which were filled with shock and pure fear just a few seconds ago.

I hugged my crying mom tighter to my side ignoring my aching ribs. He walked slowly over to us and asked sarcastically "Who wants to have the honor to be my main course?" He then grabbed my mother, we tried to fight him off but he was way stronger than us. Dragging her out of my reach the pale skinned intruder lifted her throat closer to his face to let his fangs sink into her neck. She cried out in pain and I screamed with tears rushing down my face "Stop it! Take me! Let her live, you already killed my father please stop! Just take me instead!" But he didn't stop. When my mother stopped struggling I knew she was gone. He sucked the last drop of blood out of her and threw her next to my father's lifeless body. The burning sensations from my injuries slowly fades. I feel numb. My vision starts to blur my body slowly shuts down. I guess witnessing the death of my parents and my injuries took such a big toll on me that my body sees no other way to prevent me from the pain. 'I will faint. At least I won't feel the pain my parents had to go through. It will be like falling asleep.' I fell slowly on my back, the last bit of energy left my body. Laying there in the blood of my parents I closed my eyes tightly waiting for the darkness to take over.

After a while I shift slowly, the burning sensation shoots through my body reminding me of my broken bones. Opening my eyes slowly, I realize that I actually passed out but I didn't expect to still be alive. What happened?

Observing my surroundings I realize that I'm still laying on the hard wooden floor of my bedroom. I feel the tears welling up in my eyes because I prayed that this is all was just a terrible nightmare but here I am laying in the blood puddle of my dead parents. I look up and see him walking around my room. He's going through my stuff, my music collection, book section even observing a few of the pictures I put up with my mom to decorate the green walls.

I shakily speak up "What did we do? Why did you do this?"

He looks down, his dangerous red eyes piercing right through my green ones "You are a threat for the existence of my kind. Your bloodline has to end here. Now."

I look questioning at him but he doesn't care to explain his statement any further. The pale skinned murderer starts walking slowly toward me. He knows that there is now way I can escape him. I crawl back till my back hits the grey wall of my childhood bedroom. I still remember how I asked my parents to get new wall paint for my twelfth birthday. I grew out of my orange phase so I wanted to recolor my room with dark shades of grey and green.

I have no escape left. He bends down and is ready to sink his fangs into my neck. I close my eyes and pray for a miracle. I could feel his cold breath hitting my neck.