p r e f a c e

//ps Ashton has lilac hair x
song of the chapter : we are infinite - the tunnels\\

MY SHORT LILAC hair whips around with the wind as Kurtz - my brother - cheers and drives throught the dimly lit tunnel. The many lights in the tunnel illuminate my hands and silk robe and I can't help but smile broadly.

I raise both of my cloaked arms into the chilled Summer air and cheer loudly. Luke in the passenger seat yells and thrusts his fist into the air. Looking down at the rusted metal ute flooring, i lean down and put my head through the sliding window.

"We made it," I whisper to the boys. In response they cheer louder and Luke turns up the music.

"Oh my god, what is this song?" Kurtz questions sticking his arm out of the speeding car to fist pump the air.

Exiting the tunnel we are exposed to the glowing city. It looks so alive; skyscrapers with gleaming windows, hotels with pink or green, red and blue signs lighting up the dark blue sky littered with grey clouds. Headlights from other cars light up the bridge aswell as ours.

Cruise boats are leaving the harbour beneath us sounding off with loud horns; their ever-changing lights reflecting off of the choppy water beneath us.

"Ok Ashton, get in now, we're getting closer to the city," Kurtz yells over the loud music.

I step through the sliding window and place my feet on the seat only for them to be swatted at by Kurtz who mumbles something along the lines of I just had the car vacuumed.

Finally sitting down on the napped cotton seat, I smile at both of the boys who are grinning at the buzzing city.

"So boys, are we heading to Derek's house, or are we meeting them at 'Kings Diner'?"

"Um, actually I think we are heading over to Jaime-Lou's, apparently she is holding a little going away party for Fleur, is that how you say her name?" Kurtz begins to roll his 'r's' over and over, dramatically changing his facial expressions. Luke and I shake our heads saying no repeatedly laughing at the curly-haired brunette.

"It's actually kinda said like, flare, but with a 'u' instead," Luke announces smiling past me over at Kurtz who rolls his eyes mumbling how he likes his way better.

Attaching our eyes back onto the road, I admire how beautiful and fluroscent the city is; Elizabeth Square is just ahead with it's beautiful lights and iridescent water.                                                                     Inhaling the sweet-scented air, I look over the bridge and see a bunch of people dressed in white dresses and black suits dancing around on a white cruise ship; grinning further I look back at my graduation robe, reminding me that it's all over.

"Ooo, Kurtz, I heard Michaels gonna be there, how does that make you feel?" Luke questions slyly.

Kurtz grins before replying, "Up here?" He points to his chest, "Or down here?" Our eyes follow his hand down to his crutch. Scrunching up my nose I hear Luke make a gagging nose followed by me punching his arm.

"You're disgusting, Kurtz,"

Smiling to himself, his dimples deepen as he turns off of the alive freeway onto a route that would take us to Jamie-Lou's.

"Did she finally get her own house, or is she still living in that apartment next to broadway?" I question the boys genuinely curious; she had been living in this tattered up apartment for like, two years now - depending on whether or not she has gotten a new place. There was this one time we had come back from the grocery store to find multiple mouse carcasses scattered around and her cat - Tiffy - purring at our feet with an even larger bird carcass, it was disgusting.

"Uh yeah, I think she did," turning his head to the space next to him he reads of a dmily lit piece of paper, "the address she gave me is  in Lakeside, so it has to be something decent," Kurtz emphasises the word 'has'.

"How would she even afford a house there, isn't it heaps expensive?" Luke questions.

Shrugging my shoulders, I lean forward to turn up the radio.

David Bowie's Heroes plays just audible and the boys hum along to his deep melodic voice as we watch as all the crumby apartments turn into nice looking houses.

"She lives here?"

"My grandma used to live here, and she was loaded!" Luke exclaimed with wide, gleaming eyes.