Chapter 4: Betrayal

Amber's Pov

I wanted to smile at the scene before me but the situation really didn't call for it. Getting to know the other girls that have been stuck here for who knows how long struck me hard. Despite Nayeli trying to alleviate the atmosphere, I can't help the shivers that race across my skin. I sigh as I look around the room again for the eleventh time, there is only so much to do when stuck in a cage. I sniffle as I look back towards the cage that Ruby is suppose to occupy. Apparently she's been gone for a long time.

Trying to keep the tears from flowing, I try to think of something else. Something far away that could warm my bones... yet thinking of anything else makes me want to cry even more. I wonder how my family is doing? Have they noticed I'm gone? If we do get away from here could I return to them?

Thinking like that brought my determination up. We are going to get out of here. I don't know when or how... but we will. One way or another. Even though I don't know the other girls personally, I know we can get out of here if we work together.

"So, you're sure you know Ruby? You could be a faker," Nayeli said faking innocence. I giggle a bit as Rose gives her the stink eye and growls,  "For the last time, what does that even MEAN?"

Nayeli giggles as well, knowing that she's trying to pass the time with a bit more 'fun' rather than being stuck thinking of something bad. Her eyes shine a stormy grey as she sass's back at Rose. Impressed that she keeps her facade while Rose slowly steams. She's always been better at talking to strangers.

I look back at Nayeli's wings. Glorious shades of pink spiral from the top of her wings down towards her tips. Every once in awhile they are splashed with grey that match her eyes. It was a good combination for her. Looking back at my own they are in the shade of cherry red or the gem Ruby. Wow... bad reminder. Despite the nice shade they fade out towards black at the tips of my feathers. Supposedly my eyes reflect a nice shade of red as well. I have yet to see them, hopefully they don't look insane but more surprising is that Ruby also has red eyes and wings. Kira described them to be a deeper red.

One of us is going to have to look like it demon... it better not be me.

I sigh and look down towards my bare feet. Trying to brainstorm a way out of here, yet all I can think about is how easily we were taken from our school. How easily it was to kidnap three or more students from a well secure area. I-I pinch myself away  from my memory.

Instead I put my focus on the way Rose is massaging her head, obviously Nayeli's doing. I bit back a grin as I hear Rose hiss as Nayeli begins to fire her questions again that have been already answered.

"Why so quiet... Amber right?" Nina asked, noticing that I had barely muttered a word or two.

I shrug not wanting to talk or to indicate the correct use of my name. "So, are you mute?" Rose piped up, ignoring Nayeli's nagging.

Now that wasn't nice, "No. I can talk. I just don't feel like it."

"Well can you keep your friend occupied. I ALREADY answered her questions and-"

"Shhh," I hissed as I heard tapping. Is someone...

"I think someone's running over here," Kira mumbled, clearly hearing it more clearly. It wasn't long before the tapping got louder. The sound bouncing off the walls. Clearly someone was making their way towards them... hopefully someone that could be an ally.

OoOoO

Ruby's Pov

If I was a war zone of emotion back in my cage... well I'm going nuclear. Every thought that use to bounce off my head has been blown out of the water, in fact my head was oddly quiet. As if my head couldn't compute the fact that my own father... is standing before me. Still as a statue, the only indication that he's alive is the slow movement of his chest as he breaths.