Chapter 5: The Great Escape

Ruby's POV

I resist the urge to tear my hair out of my head. Just... how many janitor CLOSETS do they have here?!?! Slamming the door harshly, I stumble away to continue my search. The fear of being found have dwindled down as more time has passed. Either they haven't noticed I've been let loose or they're confident that I can't get out? I'm just lucky they haven't found Maes body yet. Oddly enough I'm starting to sound like a murderer. Which is just FANTASTIC.

Continuing my pace with a bit of assistance from the wall, I open another door hoping that no alarms go off or that I have stumbled into the right room. Which gets shot down as I come face to face with more cleaning supplies. Geez... no wonder everything here is sparkling clean. They are more concerned with everything matching white than stocking some closets with weapons or something more USEFUL!

Shutting the door as harshly as the first, I lean heavily against it, mindful of my wings that I keep dragging around. I take a few deep breaths to steady myself. Freaking out while I have the advantage could be disastrous for me. This might be my only chance at escape. My legs shook slightly as I got myself under control, obviously the drugs that were used on my are wearing out. Yet replacing the heavy sluggish sensation from earlier, my legs are starting to feel uncomfortable tingly. Hopefully I'm not allergic to whatever I was injected with.

Becoming an oompa loompa all of a sudden isn't my primary plan of escape.

I let out a whimper as I straighten out, intent on continuing my search. Maybe I should put my ear on the door next time... I've been lucky so far to not run into anybody. Or I'm just really good at avoiding everyone. With hope still gleaming in my mind I search for another door that I could investigate. Not only do they blend in with the white walls... they all look the same as well. There's no indication of what could be potentially behind any of these doors!

"Luck is truly on my side," I said sarcastically.

But before I could open another door, I stop dead cold. Heart thumping loudly, I strain my ears as I listen for... steps? Oh. No. And it's multiple steps not just one! Despite my impulsion to open the door closest to me, I decide to head for the previous one. Since I knew what it held. Hopefully they don't decide to look into it.

Opening the door in a hurry, I practically bulldoze in there. Mindful to not slam the door, I close it without a sound. Heart beating wildly, I continue to listen to the steps that are getting louder. I slow down my breathing as I will myself to not move. Despite my itchy back and tingly legs.

"I... Believe..."

"Really?!... A Kid! Did... survive. Right?"

I closed my eyes as I imagined two guards walking down the hallways. Meters from where I'm standing. Sweat pooled at the top of my brow as I continued to hear their conversation.

"Never even knew... family. What about his... Do you even know?"

"Whoa... Damn! Feel sorry for the kid."

I tighten my grip on the teaser and keys as chills went down my spine. Please. Please! Don't check this closet!

"Well now we know he is as cold hearted as his research. Few can really do what he has done," A masculine voice said with praise in his voice. The other followed soon to respond but what drew my attention was the worsening feeling on my legs. It better not be spreading because the last thing I need is to lose consciousness in a closet!

"Yeah dude. Apparently only females have been surviving the change. In fact, a few moments ago I had to go clean up one the dead bodies that was left there. Poor fella... could have had a great time if he survived with all the ladies in the room."