Chapter 2: Nothing ever goes my way

I mentally groaned as the distance between us shortened. I could only imagine what was about to happen. Despite Amber being mischievous she was not known to have a very intimidating personality in contrast with Mayra who has no problem in reducing people to shriveling piles of goop and tears. I could only hope that when Hurricane Mayra left there wouldn't be too much disaster. So deciding to strike first when Mayra was within reach, I spoke in a flat voice, "Mayra before you let the little self-restraint I know you have go, you should know and realize that it was all an accident." Even though it was you who tripped on a backpack that is as colorful as your shoe laces.

Mayra's usual perfect complexion twisted into a snarl, "This has nothing to do with you," She hissed, clearly pissed off.

Well there goes the peace treaty.

"But Mayra-"

"Shut up Nayeli!" She hissed as her eyes finally landed on Amber.

Should have waved the white flag a while ago.

The atmosphere grew heavy as both Amber and Mayra stared at one another, both stone cold and oblivious towards the stares they were obtaining from various people. It wasn't long before Mayra made a move but my focus zoomed towards my friends face, "How dare-"

I watched as a frown tugged at her eyebrows and lips. Her face remained mostly neutral as Mayra went off on her, yet looking more closely her eyes never lost the mischief from earlier. I relaxed knowing that whatever Mayra was throwing at her wasn't harming her, Amber tends to be more emotional out of the three of us, but this incident doesn't seem to bothering her. Unlike her opponent's face that seemed to get redder the more she ranted.

Somebody tugged at her sleeve, cutting off her rant. Mayra with her face of fury turned towards whoever dared to bother her when she freezes as Samantha quietly said, "Um Mayra, your mom's here to pick you up."

Samantha with her golden hair shied away from Mayra's glare but remained in place. Turning towards Amber once again, "This isn't over, you will pay for this." Without another word she stomped away.

With her leave the room suddenly lost it's heaviness. It was easier to breath now. With a look of concern Nayeli asked, "You okay?"

Amber gave a gritty laugh, "You kidding. Watching her fall was worth it. Besides you know she is all bark no bite. Her words mean nothing."

Giving her a one sided look, I turned towards Nayeli as she uncovered the lunch she brought. Even though I trust Amber's feeling, Mayra seemed to have sucked out the apatite that I had accumulated since leaving the house. Which brought up another person that seemed to have ruined my mood today.

"Well turning away from rainbows and sunshine, guess who was at my house today," I said as I uncovered the foil that wrapped around my burrito.

"Well since no one bothers you it must have been your dad. Which by the way how is he?" Amber asked after a pause.

I gave her an unimpressed look before thinking of an answer. Yet before I could say anything the bell rung signaling the end of our lunch break. I gave a sad look at my half eaten burrito. Just great.

OoOoO

"I'm going to die," I whispered as I rummaged through my bag once again. Glancing over my shoulder quickly I noted that Amber and Nayeli haven't arrived yet for our last class which gave me a tiny ant size chance to look for my homework. Again. Although it isn't a big deal to me to forget my homework its the fact that I have Nayeli's and Ambers homework as well... which is missing as well! If my memory serves me right then I must have left it last night on the living room table. Which I avoided because 'the one that is never there' is there today.