When Darkness Falls And Surrounds You

"Come on, Hic! Just tell me!" Jack whined. He, Hiccup, and Hiccup's cat, Toothless, were in Jack's room, the former having invited the freckled teen over to play a new video game and to sate Jack's curiosity about Hiccup's recent behavior.

Hiccup sighed, "You know, I wanted to keep this a secret for a reason."

"But I'm your boyfriend!"

"What does that have to do with anything?"

"Ouch, Hiccup. Ouch," Jack put his controller in his lap and placed a hand over his heart, "That hurts. Right here," he patted his chest.

"I'd call the paramedics if it were actually serious."

"Pleeeeeeeeeeease?"

"That pout isn't going to work on me."

"It used to..." Jack grumbled, then pulled out his next trick. Hiccup quickly looked away.

"Those eyes aren't going to work either."

"They did last ni-" The rest was cut off by a hand belonging to a very red brunette.

"And I was almost grounded because I didn't tell my dad I was going to stay over at your place beforehand!"

"Well, we never planned on having a sleepover," said Jack, moving the hand off his mouth, "but then it wasn't as if there was much sleeping going on either," the white-haired teen waggled his eyebrows at the other. Hiccup pushed his face away, cheeks still stained a deep red.

"Will you stop?"

"Only if you tell me why, in the last two months, we've only been able to hang out this past week because you've been so busy."

"Okay, fine, if it'll get you off my back," Hiccup sighed again, "...I'm going to be in a play."

"...That's it?"

"Wh-what do you mean, 'that's it'!?" Hiccup spluttered, waving his arms around, accidentally waking the black cat in his lap, "You told me before you never liked plays and I didn't want to tell you because I didn't want to make you feel obligated to come and see!"

Jack rubbed the back of his neck, "Ah...I...could've worded that better...I don't hate them, I'm just not a big fan. Sure, I can appreciate all the hard work that goes into it, but theater isn't for me."

"But its like playing Pretend, you do that all the time with Emma."

"Ah! That's different."

"How?"

"She's my sister."

"...Fair enough."

Jack put an arm around Hiccup's shoulders, "Sooooo, what's this play about?"

"Oh you know, the usual: family problems, marital affairs, murder most foul, revenge," Hiccup waved his hand around, "all that good stuff."

"Anyone else I know who's going to be in it?"

"Yeah, actually, most of the Drama Club, Fishlegs, Astrid, Snotlout, the twins-"

"Whoa whoa whoa, Snotlout and the twins!?"

The brunette scratched Toothless behind the ear, "Ah, yeah, Fishlegs is directing and they owed him a big favor...s-so would you...maybe want to come watch on opening night?"

"Heck yeah, I do!" Jack smiled mischievously, "Like I'd pass up the chance to see those guys stumbling around on stage!"

Hiccup raised an eyebrow, "So you'd come to see them, but not me?"