chapter sixteen

(awesome new cover by zinszerlina ! remember, I accept cover requests/edits so if you'd like to make some for the series, all you have to do is PM me ;) hope you enjoy the chapter! sorry it's late--again--I'm trying my best with school. love you all xx)

CHAPTER SIXTEEN

MICAH IS UTTERLY LOST. He's not sure what's happening at this point. The tracker in Michelle's backpack has set him on high alert (not that he hasn't been on high alert already). He does believe she's telling the truth, that it had been placed there without her knowledge, but he also has to believe she's lying so there aren't any surprises.

Then there's the 748 and Eve situation.

He knew the two had a connection of sorts, but the event that occurred about ten minutes ago threw him for a loop. She had been willing to risk being torn apart just so 748 wouldn't be alone during a mental breakdown? Micah doesn't understand that kind of stubborn devotion. He knows 748 saved her, but Micah had saved her too, and he's confident that she would never risk her life for him.

Not that he would want her to, but why does the fact make him so angry?

He heard their conversation. Partially intentionally and partially subconsciously. It's not his fault he has advanced hearing or that he's never quite learned how to tune certain things in and out. He hears things whether he wants to or not.

Truthfully, he wishes he hadn't heard a whisper.

Why is it that 748 continuously surpasses him in everything? In skill, in strength, in respect. The only people who dislike him are the ones envious of him. Micah would endure another operation in a heartbeat if he were told he would reobtain his memories. It's not fair that 748 repeatedly gets special treatment. Being the first success, he got a lot more leeway than Micah and the other experiments. He had strikes whereas everyone else received lashings their first screwup. He had extra food at dinner if he were to wish for it whereas everyone else would be shoved back into their tiny, dirty cells until dawn.

He had the doctor's affection. The doctor's guidance. He had the type of acceptance and leniency all the other experiments would've killed for.

It's not fair.

He doesn't appreciate anything he's been given.

It's not fair.

Micah has the sudden urge to punch something, someone, but the girl in his arms keeps him from doing so. Maybe for his own good. However, it only makes him more irate. He's always been in the shadow of 748. He's had enough. He's tired of being second place. He's tired of negligence.

Where is his skill, his strength, his respect? Where are his memories? Where is someone willing to stand by his side like Eve is for 748? What the hell is a kiss?

He's tried with all his might to be the best, but 748 has always bested him. The worst part about it is that 748 doesn't try. He doesn't want to be the best. He doesn't want to be anything great, and it pisses Micah off because he's been groomed to be great while Micah, who has always been completely willing as opposed to 748, has been forgotten time and time again as second best.

Always second.

When will he get the recognition he deserves?

The sun is high in the sky when they finally arrive back at the camp. Or close to it. Micah and 748 both stop simultaneously when a sound similar to a gunshot rings through both their advanced ears. They exchange glances just as Eve--always Eve--asks why they stopped. An uneasy feeling settles in the pit of Micah's stomach. He doesn't want to admit the news to himself, nonetheless to her.