chapter thirteen

(well.. told you guys I would "attempt" an edit... think I murdered it. oh well. kudos to @lonelyheart83 for suggesting Evicah, and a lot of you liked Hevelyn. thank you for all your support. enjoy the long-ish chapter xx) 

CHAPTER THIRTEEN

EVELYN SITS ON THE bed, anxiously tapping her foot on the floor while continuously glancing up at the door. By the looks of how dark the sky is, surely it's well past midnight. She knows Micah said not to look for him, but if he doesn't show up soon, she'll claim having a hearing problem or short-term memory loss. Obviously he wouldn't buy it, however, that doesn't mean she can't say it anyways.

She paces over to the balcony, unable to sit any longer. She peers out the glass doors, leaning her head back on the frame. It's a cloudy night, only a flicker of a star here and there. The breeze brushes the tops of trees, swaying them every so slightly. Simply gazing at the scenery, quite honestly, is making her a bit sleepy. She hasn't had a full night's sleep since before the war a couple years back.

Her drowsiness disappears abruptly, though, when movement down below catches her eye. She pushes off of the frame, pressing against the glass to see better. She doesn't want to open the doors in case they are beasts and hear her. It's hard to see in the dark, minimal moonlight to illuminate their shadows, but she can just barely make out their silhouettes. There's two of them, and she waits for something to happen--a fist flying, a frustrated push to the other's shoulders, something--but nothing does.

They merely stand in front of each other.

Then something does happen; the two figures embrace.

Evelyn scrunches her nose. Should've guessed it was some cheesy romance instead of anything worthwhile. She had been hoping to witness a fight between beast leaders or members, or a Normal getting rebellious. But no.

It had to be two idiots sneaking kisses.

She groans, rolling her eyes and turning away from the balcony. Just as she does, her bedroom door creaks open and Micah pokes his head in.

"Finally," she grumbles. "I nearly made an irrational decision."

"It took a lot of convincing to get Talon into a cage," he replied.

She quirks a brow. "A cage?"

"Makeshift," he says, waving his hand aimlessly. "He gets nightmares."

"Of course he does."

"Are you ready?"

"Have been for the past two days."

He shakes his head, gesturing her to follow. She does so, and he leads her out of the house and to a side building she thought had been storage. It is storage, but of different sorts than one would think.

She can't help but to ask, "Do you have my dagger?"

Micah frowns, glancing around at the weapons lining the walls and placed on shelves. "Why do you need a dagger when there's actual swords and guns in here?"

"Because my dagger is my prized possession," she retorts. "Someone took it off me whenever I got injured, and I've yet to get it back."

He sighs. "Well, hate to break it to you, but it wasn't me. I don't know where it is. There's plenty of other daggers here, though, if you so desperately desire one."

She huffs, folding her arms across her chest. "But I want my dagger," she pouts to herself yet scans her other options nonetheless. "I'm surprised you're letting me even have a weapon."